Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The paint on my Supra is pretty old and tired, and white... So it is showing a lot of tiny scratches and dark streaks. I can't afford a paint job, or the body work required before I'd put on paint.

What is a good product to restore some, and hopefully slow down it's deterioration. The weather for the most part is decent where I am, except where I work has a problem with seagulls and them dive bombing cars.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Old, tired paint.

The paint on my white 83 was looking a bit tired and dull a few years ago. Here's what I did...

I got some Meguiar's products at Canadian Tire. Meguiar's recommends a 3 step process, using 3 different products. First is a Paint Cleaner, then a Polish, then a liquid Wax. Each bottle contains about half a litre and cost about $10-$15 each. Watch for them going on sale for about 20% off every few months.
Follow directions on the bottles.
Step 1, Paint Cleaner, will help remove small stains and marks (like watermarks) on the paint, as well as adding essential oils back into the paint to rejuvenate it.
Step 2, Polish, will really help to bring back the shine and get rid of some of the little scratches and swirls.
Step 3, Wax. Put this (or some other wax if you prefer) on right away or your first 2 steps will be wasted time. After Step 1 or 2, the paint is "exposed" and is very easy to damage. You absolutely must wax the paint right away to protect it. Two or three coats would be recommended.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I'll give that a try. Of course, it just started a stint of 5 days of rain here. And my garage is full from moving in still. *sniff*

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
w00t, slight break in the rain and I've started. Now if only it'll stay away for the 8hrs or so I think this clean/polish/wax job is going to take. =)

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Well, I just finished the hood on my mk3 yesterday. It's black and really nasty. From hanging out on detailing forums, etc...I put together a system and it works pretty good. I started on the hood yesterday, and 4 hrs later, all I can say is WHOA! The paint had stains, which turned out to be some kind of chemical which ate through some of the clear. It also had TONS of swirl marks and was pretty faded. Now it looks awesome.

Here's what I did.

1. Clay bar it (you should always do this ~2 times/yr)

2. apply 3M perfect-it fine cut rubbing compound. (I use the porter cable 7424 orbital polisher). Use a medium to fine cut foam pad if you use a machine. The amount of time you spend here depends on how bad the paint is.

3. apply 3M perfect-it swirl mark remover with an orbital polisher. They make ones for light colors and one for dark colors. This stuff works great. I used some 1000 grit sandpaper on a spot on another car, and it looked horrible. I tried using regular polish with the orbital and nothing. Used this stuff real quick by hand and you can no longer see it.

After this the paint should look really sweet. You can apply the wax now, but I used some meguiar's machine glaze then put on wax. It was worth the 4 hrs. And that's on really nasty black. White should be much easier. Now on to the rest of the car.

Christian

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
This is when the petroleum oils in the paint have just baked.

Haven't tried the other suggestions here, but I did have
a red 89T that had some serious fade/dullness.

I used 3M Imperial Hand Glaze. It has a higher oil content
than other glazes. Took a few times, including covering
it with clear plastic wrap (old school trick).

It finally brought back the shine.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
3M Imperial Hand Glaze is good stuff. When I have a stubborn place in the paint, the rubbing compound and swirl mark remover are great too. 3M makes really good stuff...that's why most body shops use it. It's predictable and consistent.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts