Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently purchased a 84' Supra from my uncle who purchased it at an auction somewhere in Orange County. I wanted to learn more about the car and I did a Google search and it landed me here. Car runs fine and most of the things work properly. Main issues are sound system sounds pretty bad, and when I'm on the freeway in 5th gear around 80mph I get a check engine light, but it goes away when I lower the speed. Aside from that I love this car its very fun to drive.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Stock sound system is not much from '84 compared to nowadays.

The check engine light at 80 is more than likely your O2 sensor is starting to go out.

·
Registered
637 Posts
hey welcome!
nice to see another so-cal member. :salute:

·
Registered
348 Posts
Welcome! Check out the interior/ICE section for stereo answers. There is a lot of valuable information in the older threads.

Get us some pics when you are able.

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
Welcome, it's good to see more socal members joining up.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Concur with 83CelWA on the check engine - O2 sensor most likely. You can pull the code (O2 sensor = 21) if you have an analogue voltmeter. The replacement is a simple job $20-30.

If you have the original cassette player stereo, don't toss it as someone will probably want it. You can easily replace it with a later used Toyota CD unit. The speakers are probably shot. For the rear speakers, 5.25" round will fit so long as the base plate can be bent (thin gauge metal, not 1/4"). The Pioneer from Walmart work fine. WesH did a writeup with pics a few years ago http://www.tscperformance.com/supra_stereo.html

·
Registered
322 Posts
ay my check engine light used to come on over 80 mph. and i noticed my oil pressure was low. so i checked the oil level and it was low. so i added some and the light doesnt come on nemore. i should check my o2 sensor though, maybe it is that. get a multi meter anyway man. walmart or some shit. you'll need one one day. Welcome to the land of 100,000 Supras!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the warm welcome, I will post pics as soon as I can. Thanks for all the suggestions I will give them a try. Hopefully we can organize a so cal meet or something that sounds pretty cool I don't think I've ever seen another car like mine in person. It doesn't have a stock stereo I think the speakers are just crap hopefully I can get a decent audio system in it though it definitely deserves it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts