Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just informed by my manager::

Very nice kid, college grad !! moved here with his GF about 9 months ago. I had an idea, just didn't think he would actually sign on the dotted line,,,,,he is off to boot camp in Feb.

Anyone have first hand experience ?

If I am posting to much to often, just tell me to STFU...you won't hurt my feelings, I will just go away !!...lol

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
If I am posting to much to often, just tell me to STFU...you won't hurt my feelings, I will just go away !!...lol
If you didnt post then the forums would be BORING!!!
MY best friend joined the Air Force, he likes it.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
National Guard for which branch?

I have first hand experience with the active duty side of the Air Force, Robert (SupraGuy31) has experience with the Army side.

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
One of my friends just joined the Marines because he couldnt find a decent job out here in L.A.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OMG...just stopped by the office, the kid has now taken a job cold selling vacuum cleaners until he is off to boot camp......I really just think he is lost, starring at a 24K student loan working part time. I feel really bad for him at the moment, but then again...I am really excited for him.. I will ask what branch !!

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Oh man, well you definitely cannot un-join once you are in. I almost joined the guard when I was in college, glad I didn't now. Just not for this kid - I have total respect for those in the military do not get me wrong. We are lucky it is voluntary in our generation.

·
Founding Member
6,407 Posts
OMG...just stopped by the office, the kid has now taken a job cold selling vacuum cleaners until he is off to boot camp......I really just think he is lost, starring at a 24K student loan working part time. I feel really bad for him at the moment, but then again...I am really excited for him.. I will ask what branch !!
Don't know nothing about military, but I know its tough out there right now for college grads. I got two nieces recently graduated, one a masters last year and one a bachelors this year both still unemployed. Entry level jobs kinda depend on having economic growth going on. As it is, companies aren't expanding and there are plenty of job applicants with experience for the few jobs that are out there. Military is probably not a bad option right now if they'll take you.

But as to selling vacuum cleaners, I have a cousin who did that. He did really well until he ran out of relatives to feel sorry for him.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
But as to selling vacuum cleaners, I have a cousin who did that. He did really well until he ran out of relatives to feel sorry for him.
ROFL!!!

Cold selling never did it. I was an inbound telemarketer for maybe a year altogether. West Corp. Very flexible scheduling, you could work 80hrs a week if you wanted and as long as you showed up. AT&T contacted them to handle their California clients (so yea I was in VA talking to folks in CA) and how AT&T treated us made me get out for good. It was good money since overtime just depended on how much you wanted to be there. But not my kind of job truthfully.

As for the college grads, I'm gonna pass along what you said to my girl. She's a Mech Engineer major, gonna get her bachelors along with a debt of at least 80Gs. I dropped out of Comp Engineering and only owe 2.5Gs. Wasn't hands on enough. Like computers, but don't like sitting in front of them to make a living.

No military for me cause I refuse to cut my dreadlocks. The girl don't want me cutting them and even if I did still wouldn't want me joining so :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
ROFL!!!
No military for me cause I refuse to cut my dreadlocks. The girl don't want me cutting them and even if I did still wouldn't want me joining so :thumbsup:
I grew up in the 70's and bought in to the long hair and blow dryer. Moved to California, got a hair cut, threw away the blow dryer and could wash my hair by running a wet bar of soap over my head. Will never be a slave to my hair again. Don't laugh, could happen to you!

·
Registered
861 Posts
I've been in the USAF for 17 years now. In fact, I just passed the 17 year mark last week. It's been an EPIC ride. I started in Active Duty, but have been a Reservist for the past dozen years. I consider the military a way of life, and I think retirement will be bitter sweet. Almost afraid of it since it's just a few short years away.

I've seen many different places here in the lower 48, plus Alaska and Hawaii. Beyond that, I've seen Japan, Korea, Qatar, Afghanistan, Germany, Bahrain... and next week will be off to New Zealand and Antarctica. Operation Deep Freeze!

I have no regrets to serving. I've met some amazing people, and worked on some incredible projects. I recommend everyone serve at least one enlistment. You never know what you're missing unless you give it a shot. I never thought I would join the military, but looking back on nearly 2 decades? I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I grew up in the 70's and bought in to the long hair and blow dryer. Moved to California, got a hair cut, threw away the blow dryer and could wash my hair by running a wet bar of soap over my head. Will never be a slave to my hair again. Don't laugh, could happen to you!
Naw man, I don't laugh. I don't say I'll never cut them, cause I'll probably end up keeping them a certain length anyways. They mean a lot to me, but that could always change. I hope it don't, but if it do it do you know?

My father says he always wanted to grow them too. He raised me on reggae so yea haha, I think I believe him. However, he is a nurse and retired Navy and in the Army Reserves. So of course he never tried to grow them haha.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts