Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Which part is the JB Weld for? Very interested in this. Considering getting a short shift kit from CubeSpeed that has bushings or just keeping it stock and using Billy's bushings. Any thoughts or opinions are welcome.

· Registered
1985 Toyota Celica Supra MK2 with P trim
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Which part is the JB Weld for? Very interested in this. Considering getting a short shift kit from CubeSpeed that has bushings or just keeping it stock and using Billy's bushings. Any thoughts or opinions are welcome.
The metal ring that goes in the transmission, as per the instructions > Installation Instructions

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
That shifter kit revolutionized the driving experience for me.
And it already does, without even getting the car out (it's in storage for the winter) I can tell the shifting experience is going to be oh-so much better !

After almost stripping my fill bolt (why do people always want to torque those bolts to death ????) I was able to do a clean transmission oil change, without any worrying bits of metal on the drain plug (yay !).

Automotive tire Gas Rim Wood Auto part

Cameras & optics Circle Close-up Camera lens Auto part

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Fluid Gas Automotive wheel system

Reassembled everything inside...

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering part Steering wheel

And here's a before

And after

I'll let you be the judge here 😁

Attachments

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
This end of week I changed the diff oil and did a check of the different moving parts around it... It seems the clank noise I get when going from 1st to reverse and vice versa is coming from a loose bit somewhere in between the shaft and the diff gearing...

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

Also did a bit of cleaning and preventive maintenance to the rear wheels and brakes.

Automotive tire Bicycle part Motor vehicle Font Auto part

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Locking hubs

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Tread Hubcap

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design

Now to do the front side...

Pretty happy seeing the car is looking good under than caked in dirt and grime !

Tire Shoe Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Attachments

· Registered
909 Posts
I used Royal Purple Synchromax.
Many will say RedLine MT-90.

1- Remove 'normal' filling bolt driver side, mid hight. It is also used as level indicator.
2- Remove drain plug on the bottom let it drain.
3- Reinstall drain plug
4- Fill until spilling from side plug
5- Reinstall side plug.

... next will be the diff?
Jocelyn, you need to be careful with synchromax, it is NOT 75w-90, or even close to it. It is made more for manual transmissions that require atf fluid as their oil. In fact, Summit lists it as 10 weight!

In Royal Purple's spec sheet, it clearly states this:

Royal Purple® Synchromax® is recommended for manual transmissions that specify an automatic transmission fluid or other light-viscosity
oil. It is also ideal for transfer cases and 2-cycle motorcycle gear boxes that specify light viscosity lubricants

While the W58 trans will work with it, it does wear the synchros down, as evident with the amount of silver I had in my truck's W56 trans when I replaced it many years ago.

· Super Moderator
7,964 Posts
Jocelyn, you need to be careful with synchromax, it is NOT 75w-90, or even close to it. It is made more for manual transmissions that require atf fluid as their oil. In fact, Summit lists it as 10 weight!
Apparently, you are right for our cars.
I remember very well it being recommended for my other summer car. It seems I have mixed them in my recommendation. I am pretty sure I have the normal 75W90 from CanadianTire in my Supra, as it was changed almost 15 years ago, and I have the remaining of that bottle still.
Now I have to validate RP is good for the other car !

Thanks!

· Registered
85 P-type
66 Posts
Apparently, you are right for our cars.
I remember very well it being recommended for my other summer car. It seems I have mixed them in my recommendation. I am pretty sure I have the normal 75W90 from CanadianTire in my Supra, as it was changed almost 15 years ago, and I have the remaining of that bottle still.
Now I have to validate RP is good for the other car !

Thanks!
Just out of curiosity, what is your other summer car?

21 - 31 of 31 Posts