Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if I could use a msd 6a to control my ignition and not the cars ecu? I found my old stand alone injector controller so that can take care of the fuel. I'm just curious. thanks..

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
umm, do you understand what a msd box does? its nothing more then an amplifier, well not exactly, but more or less.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm using an MSD 6A on the 85, however there are no factory electronics so everything is independent really with the carburetor set up. I had to buy an MSD universal crank trigger kit and mount the wheel to the face of the crank pully with 3 drilled and tapped holes. I was really hoping there could be a way for the 6A or the timing control computer to use the signal from the distributor but I had no luck, it's still possible though.

do you plan on using the msd timing control computer? or what are you going to do for advance> older vacuum style distributor would be cool

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I managed to screw this post up. What I am hoping to do is to drop in a stock 7m n/a motor and use the computer that is already on the car to control the ignition. All of the sensors will still be hooked up. What I am hoping is that I can unplug the injectors and use a separate stand alone to control them. Is the ignition curve of the 5m computer different than the 7m? I have read that the 7m will run on a 5m ecu, but the fuel is touch and go. Can this work?

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
i think you have it waaay backwards. there's someone running a 6M on 7M-GE electronics (darrow?). if you're going to run a standalone, why not let it control both ignition and fuel?

better yet, just run the 7M electronics with the 7M

1 - 5 of 5 Posts