1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
no need for the double post dude, but that's odd that they'd sit outside a drag strip and hand out tickets.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I just wasnt sure where to post it to make sure it got viewed the most.

Carl

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Perhaps one of our all seeing all powerful moderators can fix my posting faux-pas ;)

Carl

·
Super Moderator
10,546 Posts
the local PD have been pulling shit like that for years downtown. It used to be, many years ago, that every friday & saturday night all of the sweet cars would go cruizing up and down robson. It was great, cool cars clogging the street all night. There were no problems, no fights, all the buisiness would be open till midnight, it was great. Then the police moved in. They'd park on robson, and pull any car over that looked too low, to loud, illegal tint or whatever. Give em a ticket right there and then. That scared away all the real modfied cars. You never saw any low riders with hydrolics or anything like that anymore. Then they just started shutting down the whole street when they figured it was too congested, just shut the whole show down for no reason. Well Robson pretty much died for a few years after that. Recently its been coming back though. But I was there a week ago and the cops were out handing out tickets again :roll: I don't know what the hell their problem is. Anyone who wants to get anywhere at that time of night knows better then to take Robson st. Meh, at least we still have White Rock, same deal there on week end nights when the weather is good, have yet to see the cops pull that crap there.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The crappy thing is the Tornoto MKII club is having its summer meet July 11-12 and on the night of the 11th we are supposed to be going to that very track mentioned in the post TMP is the Toronto Motorsports Park a.ka. the Caygua Dragstrip and Road Course.

I am still gonna go cause I am a MKII Junky but I don't know if it will scare outher members away that have some mods, Im sure Dean was gonna take his new race car, but its got a 5-point harness in it, his other car has an intake, both have aftermarket exhausts, what kinda tickets is he gonna get just to show up and participate in a legal racing environment?

I have a modded air box and a K&N drop in, and 2.5 exhaust I am not that worried cause it looks close to stock but who knows maybe my factory SUPRA sticker on the back will look like ricer stuff and I'll have them give me a hard time.

Its just sucks in general, beter make sure I take my K&N info in the glove box, of course that wont help if I get the notorious no daytimr urnning lights ticket.

Carl

·
Super Moderator
10,546 Posts
no daytime running lights? Thats bull, no cars before 90 or 91 need them in Canada, if they give you a ticket like just dispute it, that info is even on transport canada's website.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A member on SF and also friend of mine just got that ticket on the way back from the last Toronto Supra Club meet in Brampton, he drives an 89 Turbo :( They nailed him for all kinds of BS tickets, but the no daytimes was the icing on the friggin' cake.

Another one TSC members just got nailed with useless tickets and the cops gave a really hard time cause he had some braided oil cooler lines for the turbo and the cop was convinced this was how the "NAWZ" was delivered to the engine!

Carl

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just recived this response from Sport Compact National regarding the message I sent them.

Thanks for this heads-up, Carl.

It does seem pretty unfair. The police say "Take it to the track," then
they punish people who do just that. A more constructive way to go about
this is for police to take an friendly, educational stance, rather than
just hand out tickets. If they gave owners a friendly FYI, letting them
know about stuff that doesn't meet MTO regulations, and giving them a
chance to fix it, without punishing them, there would be a much more
positive feeling between enthusiasts and police. This smacks of underhanded
revenue generation, rather than honest, forthright law enforcement.

I want to follow up on this by contacting MTO or police, or both, and
seeing if they can give me a definitive list of mods that are illegal. Then
I can publish this list in an upcoming issue, so readers know what's up.
Then next time, enthusiasts could arrive at the track with everything up to
code, and wave the list in the noses of MTO and police, who would realize
we won't be victims of persecution any more. We could laugh at them as
police and MTO waste their time going over cars, trying in vain to meet
their arbitrary ticket quotas.

Phill Parker
Editor, Sport Compact National
[email protected]

It'll be nice to see it al layed out for us....

Carl

1 - 14 of 14 Posts