Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Founding Member
6,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 97 Landcruiser as official Supra tow vehicle and parts hauler. Just curious if there were any LC owners on here have interesting pages bookmarked or other info of interest, particularly if noted any commonalities misc. parts or technology-wise between supra and LCs, pm me.

Phil D.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Well, you may have heard of the Landcruiser crankshaft being adapted to the 7M to stroke it out to 3.1 or 3.2.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Hmmm... Landcruiser 6's have a bore of 100mm, suggesting the bore spacing is WAY bigger than the 7M (this is obvious just by looking at it though, LC engines are massive). That being the case, I can't see how the cranks would be interchangeable!

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Hey Norbie -- Off-topic, but do you have any information on the evolution of Toyota's inline 6's? From M to JZ to whatever is in the Land Cruizer (1MZ-FE?)... ?

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Quick,1mz is a v-6 LC are F series.LC engines look to be a direct knock off of the old 250 chev I-6.The earlier ones "60's-70's" really look close.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I assume its an 80 series Landcruiser you have, here's a bit of info from offroad.com...
80 Series Specific Info

Full time 4wd

All 80 series Cruisers sold in North America and Europe are full time 4wd. In Africa and Australia, a part-time system is still available. 80's produced between '90-'91 have an open center differential which is lockable in 4HI and automatically locked in 4LO. From '92 on, vehicles with ABS had a viscous coupling that sent a maximum of 30% torque the non-slipping axle. The differential is lockable in 4HI and automatically locked in 4LO.

Locking Differentials

Locking differentials were available as options in all 80 series. From 94 on, they were standard in North America. The operation of the lockers is very elegant. When the differential lock dial is turned to the "Locked" position, it switches on a small electrical servo. The servo pushes on a dog clutch which is meshed with the splines on the axle shaft. The dog clutch slides along the axle shaft and engages on the side of the differential carrier. The axle is then completely locked. They were offered from the procuction date 8/92 onwards.

You can also try www.tlca.org, although their website is down right now. Haven't visited TLCA for a while, so I'm not sure how long their site has been down...

As for parts, you can try Specter off-road for non-American performance parts, they mainly show older LC parts, but have stuff for 80 series too. http://www.sor.com/
Congrats on the new vehicle!

·
Registered
1,186 Posts

·
Founding Member
6,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all. Had never heard of a LC crank in a 7m. Just physically tho, haven't measured, but the FZ block looks to be an inch or two longer and mabe a half or three quarter inch wider than the M blocks. LCs overseas had some other motor choices over the years so mabe its another crank that was adapted. Been having a little trouble finding useful LC sites bc some of the LC sites already mentioned have a whole bunch of dead links. I did find of interest a TRD now Kazuma supercharger kit info and an australian company offers a turbo for the 1FZ. Hmmmm???? ....... Naw, save it for the Supra. 8)

Phil D.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
ghostrider said:
Actually Shawn, its the Chev 235. Its a "mirror image".
J

My bad,I knew it was one of them,just brain fade.You know,old,tired,a few other unmentionables. :wink:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts