Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 86 Nissan pickup with 222k miles on it (still running fine :shock: ) that has become my daily driver while my baby is in the shop. Of course, since this is my only backup vehicle, it had to develop a problem while I have nothing else to turn to :roll: . In the mornings (early mornings, like 3:00), it refuses to turn over for a long time. The starter clicks, but the engine doesn't turn over. After many tries, it usually starts, but today I actually managed to drain the battery trying this. During normal day time hours, it starts a little hard (2-3 tries), but nothing major. Any help thoughts on this would be much appriciated

·
Boost-a-holic
2,560 Posts
Starter solenoid goin' south....?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Sounds like the starter. A good way to test it, if you don't mind getting a little dirty, grab a hammer or a big wrench and crawl under your truck and give the starter three or four good whacks. If it starts right up after that you know the starter is your problem for sure. Don't just tap it, make sure you get in a couple good hard hits on the main body of it, don't hit the solenoid or the wires. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
suprathepeg said:
I would say either the starter or the battery.
I agree.

Also, clean all contact points when you replace things.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts