Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
POTATO
17,179 Posts
Do you have any concept of how an engine works? And what all will be needed to bring a 180 crank hp motor up to 366 crank hp? (366 is what is necessary to put 300 to the wheels)

One clue, you will not be on pump gas anymore....

I hate to sound condescending and burst your bubble, but you don't seem to have a realistc view about this.

·
Registered
256 Posts
you could do the other not ever really been done but thought and talked about. the elusive supercharged M series. you could then take advantage off all teh na mods you will have to do to getr close to 366hp ( thanks tanya for the math). and well without forced induction these motors only go so fast. plus there are tremendous hurdles in any high hp build. plus it sounds like you plan on doing it the first try. but then i dont even know who you are or your capabilities and resources. so all in all i say f*ck it go for what ever you decide and dont look back. what ever you brew up will be very fun and full of your hard work. and theres nothing like tooling around in something that was solely there because of you. my motor is average and i just love the damn thing. built my own 6m out of an old 5m and some 7m parts.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Awesome a new sticky lol back to valves with this type of setup would it be a interference engine?
I know mine wasnt.
i believe tire shredder could shed some light on this subject for us.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Show me some real #'s guys !!!

Clinton, your seat of the pants meter, was more than likely ...

1. Throttle response, or ...

2. A fresh head, which again = more throttle response, than HP or TQ.

OSV alone, will do little, if anything on an NA 5/6m engine. Toyota/Yamaha, did an amazing job designing this head. It will already, outflow, what the rest of the system will allow. AFM/Throttle body size, dictates how much air your going to get into the engine. I'm not going to dig up all the previous info that has been posted, but, the stock system flows enough for 200+whp.

Find the discussions from 1-2 years back, on NA builds, read and understand what Kenny "Sarinas Dragons" posted .... ie .. the Math.

As for this being a sticky ..... Why ??? Info here isn't that great, compared to other threads on similar subjects.

I'll go back to my hole, and leave this thread now :D

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
I'm with Junkie, this thread is retarded. You guys need to do sooo much more reading than posting. You'll never see me say that x Parts will make x HP, I don't suggest making those hollow promises to the general public.

·
POTATO
17,179 Posts
I can only say x exhaust can give x hp because I've gotten the dyno to prove it, however, you still have to put in the disclaimers for the people who need to realize not every mod will pull the same numbers for them for many reasons:
engine health, elevation, climate, and dyno type.

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
I think I've asked about this before, but has anyone ever tried just swapping the stock pistons for higher compression pistons, say 12.5:1 with a MHG, while leaving most everything else stock? You would have to run race fuel of course, but the combustion chamber design on the 5M/6M cylinder head would work very well with high compression ratios. Tack on a free-flowing exhaust system along with a cold air intake and I think you might be surprised at the increase in power, though this is just my own assumption at this point.

·
POTATO
17,179 Posts
^I would have loved to have done that with my last build, but simply couldn't afford the custom pistons. Just going from a 9.2:1 5MGE to a 9.8:1 6MGE was a big difference in the seat-o-the-pants meter.

I would definitely love to do another 6M build someday with high comp pistons and maybe ITBs (I've found someone with an HKS ITB manifold for a 5M/6M that I'm trying to get my hands on)

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Max airflo is determined by all of the restrictions (and path bends and tubulence caused by changes in path cross-sectional area) in the intake path. The valves have the greatest restriction since they have the smallest cross-sectional area. Since osv only increase the area by a small percentage the increase in power should be small. Another consideration is that increasing the cross-sectional area of the flow path rapidly causes lots of flow limiting turbulence. Osv may cause more turbulence internally in the cylinder due to the change of path configuration from stock so flow may actually be decreased. (Remember that charge has to flow through the valve and through the cylinder to the piston face.)

·
Registered
139 Posts
2 83 MK2s Ptypes

Have 2.5 on 1 a 3 on 1 go with 3in 3 out toyota dtuned from 3inch just to get in states us didnt stock import to be faster than our V8s

·
Registered
214 Posts
Tanya,
Your right, I have spent well over $6'000 on this engine. And had just the engine dynoed, started with 245 hp and with some tuning, two weeks of it. got to 298.9 hp.. :(
This is the sad for me. 1000 of hr working, reworking and reworking the rework.. short end of the long, to make big numbers, go TURBO.. don't wast money like i did.. And to top it all off can't put it in my car.. I had to sell it to my friend, my Dad passed on the
4th of october 2009.. Going to miss him.. SAD SAD.. thanks for all your help i thought that I could get there.. there was no more I could have done. 12.9:1 104 gas, stand off, dry sump big wast, only got like 5 hp for 1'500 dollers. ecu's tryed, SDS,AEM,magasquert, and my own.. long nights and days off working for what? 300 rwhp.. did cams, regrings, and on and on.. thoght that I could,, sorry to let you all down..:( now going to go 6mgte.. that will get me there.. and more..

·
Registered
552 Posts
Dyno sheets?

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
298hp out of a NA 5/6M is IMPRESSIVE! Now a Stock 7M with exhaust can do that, easily, I agree, but N/A must be a beast!

NOTHING to scoff at! Good job with that build! Is the new owner on CS.com?

·
Registered
13,036 Posts
Tanya,
Your right, I have spent well over $6'000 on this engine. And had just the engine dynoed, started with 245 hp and with some tuning, two weeks of it. got to 298.9 hp.. :(
This is the sad for me. 1000 of hr working, reworking and reworking the rework.. short end of the long, to make big numbers, go TURBO.. don't wast money like i did.. And to top it all off can't put it in my car.. I had to sell it to my friend, my Dad passed on the
4th of october 2009.. Going to miss him.. SAD SAD.. thanks for all your help i thought that I could get there.. there was no more I could have done. 12.9:1 104 gas, stand off, dry sump big wast, only got like 5 hp for 1'500 dollers. ecu's tryed, SDS,AEM,magasquert, and my own.. long nights and days off working for what? 300 rwhp.. did cams, regrings, and on and on.. thoght that I could,, sorry to let you all down..:( now going to go 6mgte.. that will get me there.. and more..
...sorry to hear about your loss, but "pics or it didn't happen".

You went from this:
ok i just had my 84 p-type dynoed. and i have a 6mge in it. and i was not happy. they say that the 6m is 190hp i have a full 2.5 exh and light flywheel. exe 149.51hp and 166.98flbs. is this the nom? it was done on a dynojet dyno..
so what will it take to get me to the 200 mark?
lmao. so what i was thinking that i could make my own tbi and standalone. I would like to get to the 200 mark with all engine. i know that it can be done. now are there cams that i can get, what about cam gears to. and if so what would be the best out there?
...to having a near 300hp dry-sumped 6m running on a home-made ecu when the biggest mod documented on your cars in photos is a electric fan? Quite a technological jump there, busy year...

smells fishy, sorry, but truth.

--billyM

41 - 60 of 70 Posts