Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

161 - 179 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ok, So I am confused. I own a March 1982 Celica/Supra. It from every purpose and standard <by your descriptions> is a P-type, but it Does have sprayers, Does have Leather Seat <terrible condition now>, Does have Fender Flares, and Does have Mud Flaps. I am confused. Can there be a Rally Sport Version that combines both. This is all stock. There has been 3 owners before me on this car. 1st I know nothing about, 2nd a ditsy girl who trashed it with lack of care <and had no interest in modifying it>, and 14yrs ago my now ex and I purchased this from the dits. It has original everything put on it since we got it. I have restored it from ground up from only 82's, and early 83's. Didn't know about L-type and P-type, so thanks for all this info. That truly rocks, but is mine a morf of both or is there something else out there. I had a Celica/Supra lover from a dealership print out every page he had of info on this car from the dealership <for a hell of a lot of Pizza and Beer>, but never covered any of this stuff. I think there must be a few flaws in the details, but you people definitely know a lot more shit than I. Good on you...

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
A P type with several options not even available from Toyota in 1982: Black leather P-type seats, mudflaps, header panel with sprayers. Does both the door plate and hood vaccuum diagram claim it is a 1982 model? Does the door plate match the firewall plate? The VIN's are sequential, so you can also verify build date this way. Do you have a vacuum advance distributor?

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
84 5-speeds are actually the 160hp 163 tq motors.

85 is when they went to 161/169.
With that...is the cylinder head completely different on an 85 & 86 than the previous model years to provide the slight increase in hp/tq? If not...what exactly made the difference?

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Intake runner change, Square to round TPS and addition of knock sensors is the difference.

Thanks Donn, was a little confused because I read this earlier in the thread...

The D shaped runners started in 1984... which is where the jump in HP from 83 to 84 comes from. (This I definately know... had 2 84's and both have had D shaped runners on the intakes)
and also read the info at wiki stating...
The Supra was altered again in 1985. On the engine side, power output was increased to 161 hp (120 kW) and 169 lb·ft (229 N·m) of torque. The good news was that all Supras this year had that same amount of power (both automatics and 5-speeds). The engine received a redesigned throttle position sensor (TPS) as well as a new EGR system and knock sensor.

I questioned it because if the runners were changed in 84, surely the power increase in 85 & 86 wouldn't be from the new tps, egr system, and knock sensor alone.
Should wiki be edited since the intake runners were changed in 84?

Wanted to know because I may buy another head for the engine to have resurfaced, port and polished, and re-assembled, and just do a swap when it's finished so I don't have the thing sitting around with nothing covering the cylinders.
Didn't want to goof up and get a different head than what I have now.

·
Registered
555 Posts
The head is the same, but the electronics are different. I just put an 86 engine in my 84 and had to put the wiring harness that came with the car (84) on the 86 engine. I don't have the knock sensor hooked up - no wire for it in 84 and the EGR piping is different - there were three tubes on the 84 and four on the 86 so one is just there doing nothing. I also had to switch the throttle body to the 84 TB so the TPS would work three prong plug in the 84 and four prong in the 86. So there are a few things you might consider about switching for a different year head, but certainly none of them are problematic, they just require some injenuity (sp?). BTW you can remove the head from the block with both the intake and exhaust manifolds attached, I used an engine hoist because it is prety heavy this way. Search for a thread "what exactly holds the head on?" (I don't know how to link it or I would have).

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
For the D and Non D runners, the difference is the Actual manifold and runners, I'm 99.9% sure the head flange is round on both.

IMHO, 84 was a weird change over year. Some cars had 85 electronics and IM, some didn't. Maybe thats just in Canada though.

If your getting head ported, all 5/6M's are the same.
If you are going to switch to the D's then you'll put your old TB on the New IM. and use the new EGR setup.

·
Registered
235 Posts
A P type with several options not even available from Toyota in 1982: Black leather P-type seats, mudflaps, header panel with sprayers.
I can't disagree with most of this, but, once again, I assure that my stock early 82 P-type does have mudflaps.

·
Registered
235 Posts
So is it only the 82P that is the mystery about mudflaps and not the 82L?
My 82 sales brochure shows mudflaps on the Ls, but not the Ps. Which makes me more confused about my 82. I just went out and looked at both my Ps (82/86), and, although the flaps look basically the same on both, there are differences. The ones on the 82 have no visible hardware; they appear to be riveted to the inside of the wheel wells. Curiouser and curiouser! I wonder if it has anything to do with the "Supra" badged as opposed to the "Celica Supra" badged models.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Geez this seemed to have gone into a "MKII owners gone wild" episode. Well to say the least I'm a fan of what Tanya and others are trying to do here, but it seems as if most people are not helping to give information as much as they're trying to get from it and I know some might be confused since they actually see conflicting issues between the info provided and what they actually see on their cars. but can we just try to help gather all the info required for the FAQ.

I have learned alot from reading this thread so far and basically it seems that some people don't realize that these cars being 20+ years and several owners later things are not going to be original as it came off the showroom floor. Not saying you might have an oddball car here or there but I doubt it should be this big of an issue.

Just providing my :twocents:and hopefully this doesn't turn into a great debate thing but I guess if people have a problem with what I have said feel free to PM me and keep any illwill from public view on the forums and keep this FAQs info going :good:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello Everyone :)

I HAVE A 1983 CELICA GTS i was just wondering if this car is worth keeping and fixing up ? it still runs has over 250,000 miles on it and its still going has little rust spots the ac doesnt work, has no radio or speakers, needs new seats badly and new bumpers new chrome panels on the outside ...anyways it RUNS hahaha so are they rare ?

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
I HAVE A 1983 CELICA GTS i was just wondering if this car is worth keeping and fixing up ? it still runs has over 250,000 miles on it and its still going has little rust spots the ac doesnt work, has no radio or speakers, needs new seats badly and new bumpers new chrome panels on the outside ...anyways it RUNS hahaha so are they rare ?
1-That is not a GT-S, it is just a GT.
2-This posting does not belong in this thread:SM130 (1):
3-They are not rare at all, the paint job is interesting though.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
The Leather interiors listed for 85 and 86 is
"1985* available in Maroon, Black/Grey and first year Blue became availabe
1986* same colors as '85"
I have an 86 with original all black leather interior, and its not black and grey, is this odd?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Did Australia receive some sort of combination of L type and P type or did we actually get both?, I've got a digital dash,lsd,big guards and interior with the drivers seat air pump thing-o.

Just curious to know if my car has the parts of 50 different supras on it or if thats how some of them came.

161 - 179 of 179 Posts