Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm researching and hunting for a MKII right now but I am in a bind. Here's the long story short:

I wanted an L-Type because of the round fenders.
L-Type's are hard to find.
I wanted an 81-85 Celica because of availabilty and round fenders.
I no longer want an 81-85 Celica because of 22R.

I want to know if the P-Type fender flares are removed, are the P-Type round fenders underneath them? If not, what is underneath them? Are they attached by bolts in the fender wells or directly to the fender?

·
Registered
35 Posts
The P-type flares are bolt on. Underneath is totally different from the L-type. The round fenders are cut from factory to accommodate the flares.

·
Super Moderator
8,397 Posts
The fenders and quarter panels are totally different between the P and L types. The front fenders you can swap relatively easy the back is a much harder problem. Frankly just buy an L type its not like they are that rare or desirable.

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
I'm another one of those weird people that likes the look of the L Type better. Unfortunately I'm saddled with the burden a clean P Type. We must all suffer for the cause. :)

Good luck on your search.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
This is what is under the flare. Not very pretty. Was never meant to be uncovered and is more than just an L-Type with a flare bolted on top.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alrighty. The fender looks to be similar enough between the L and P-Types. Those damn holes and lips will be a pain to fill and smooth.

Has anybody on this forum removed P-Type flares to create a L-Type fender?

The reason I'm asking is because L-Type's are hard to find according to my research, expecially with a W58.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Not hard to find if you are patient and much easier and better than trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. L-types are harder to sell and while rarer, go for less as I recall. Getting one with a W58 might be harder, but then the automatics are underrated on this forum.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I think the chances of finding an automatic L-Type in great condition are higher too. They weren't typically driven as hard as the P-types, and if you do the 5 speed swap, your're good.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yea I've got a p type and I want the round fenders like the l type, you can fill them in and form them its been done before, I'm currently doing this

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Not hard to find if you are patient and much easier and better than trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. L-types are harder to sell and while rarer, go for less as I recall. Getting one with a W58 might be harder, but then the automatics are underrated on this forum.
Nice play on the sow's ear Sowsley🤣. Im gonna borrow that phrase if you don't mind?

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Just buy an L type and save yourself a huge headache

1 - 12 of 12 Posts