Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My pc has 523,760 KB's of RAM (operating system windows 2000). I do know the paging was adjusted from it's default setting, and I'm wondering what would be best.
Anyone know how to determine this?

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
RAM is actually pretty cheap right now. Why not knock it up to 2 GB or so...?

If you can get me the specs off the RAM, I can drop some in the mail for you. That will take some of the load off of the paging file (depending on what software you are running).

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RAM is actually pretty cheap right now. Why not knock it up to 2 GB or so...?

If you can get me the specs off the RAM, I can drop some in the mail for you. That will take some of the load off of the paging file (depending on what software you are running).
Thanks for everything Jefe....sent you a pm

·
Boost-a-holic
2,560 Posts
I try not to run WinBlows any more (I have it on one or two dual-boot machines). But the general rule is that you'll get your best performance if you create a fixed-size contiguous (all in one piece) paging file that's about 1.5x your physical RAM size. (so for 512M RAM, use a 768M page file).

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
DDR memory is cheap when you're giving it away :)

Windows actually recommended that page size so that's what's he's using now...

I still end up using Windows just to get the Office suite that everyone at work uses. Sigh.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Yes, I did use that too on an older machine. It worked pretty well but it never really did the job for me. I gave in and went back to the dark side...

I'm glad it's working for someone though!

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Works much better now

Windows actually recommended that page size so that's what's he's using now...
My free space before the change was at 74%, whereas after the change it increased to 85%.
Was wondering at first why the pc wasn't running any better after the change, so I checked my free space and it was still at 74% and then I was like :duh: restart the pc you big dummy...so I restarted it, change took effect, and it runs much better.

Now I can be in the chat room, and the forum with no lag :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
One more question

Once I add the 1gb of ram...will windows reccomend a different paging file size than the 766 kb's it's set at now, or will I have to calculate what it will be set at? I think I read somewhere if ram is added the paging file size will be less...but I could be wrong about this.

·
Boost-a-holic
2,560 Posts
Once you have the new RAM in (total of 1.5GB if I've read this right):

(1) Defragment your hard drives.
(2) Go into Control Panel -> System...find the Virtual Memory settings. Set all page file sizes to ZERO. You now have enough RAM to boot the box and do a few things without a paging file.
(3) Reboot the system, go back into the virtual memory setup box and create a fixed-size (starting size, max. size the same) paging file of 2.25GB (1.5GB x 1.5; usually on the C: drive but if you have another that's faster or has more available space, go ahead and put it there).
(4) Reboot again, and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
paging file of 2.25GB (1.5GB x 1.5; usually on the C: drive but if you have another that's faster or has more available space, go ahead and put it there).
(4) Reboot again, and you should be good to go.
Ok you lost me starting at this point in the post ^ I have a half gig now and will be adding one gig, so if I set the initial size to zero (windows 2000, so I don't think I can change the max size, doesn't windows set the max size automatically with window 2000 operating system?) when I reboot and go back to set them the same....that would be a problem, or I'm totally misunderstanding what you are saying.

Should I just bite the bullet and upgrade to xp?

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Yes, it's amazing how many times restarting Windows allows it to work a little better - even if you haven't made any changes to the settings!

I did get that memory into the mail today. Let me know if it helps...

·
Boost-a-holic
2,560 Posts
Ok you lost me starting at this point in the post ^ I have a half gig now and will be adding one gig, so if I set the initial size to zero (windows 2000, so I don't think I can change the max size, doesn't windows set the max size automatically with window 2000 operating system?) when I reboot and go back to set them the same....that would be a problem, or I'm totally misunderstanding what you are saying.

Should I just bite the bullet and upgrade to xp?

No, you can change the paging file size. I rarely use Windows anymore but when I do have to set up a new box running it I always do this (as I recall, 2000 was the same as XP in this regard, shoot me if I'm wrong ;) ). There's a setting somewhere under Control Panel -> System (might be "Performance" but I don't remember for sure). There is a tab for "Virtual Memory". That's where you do this stuff.

Don't do ANY of this until AFTER you have Jefe's extra 1G RAM installed. Without a page file Windows may well puke with only 512M of total memory to work with. And after you set the page file size to zero, THEN reboot and change it to 2.25GB on one drive.

·
Boost-a-holic
2,560 Posts
Yes, it's amazing how many times restarting Windows allows it to work a little better - even if you haven't made any changes to the settings!

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No, you can change the paging file size. I rarely use Windows anymore but when I do have to set up a new box running it I always do this (as I recall, 2000 was the same as XP in this regard, shoot me if I'm wrong ;) ). There's a setting somewhere under Control Panel -> System (might be "Performance" but I don't remember for sure). There is a tab for "Virtual Memory". That's where you do this stuff.
Ok, I already know how to get there, but what I am talking about is once you click the setting tab, it looks like this.

*edit* Ok I looked at it again, What you're saying makes sense, and it is possible to change both....my bad.

bookmarked this thread for quick reference... thanks again guys for your help.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
It will probably come up with that as a recommendation anyway. Let us know if there are any questions!.

·
Boost-a-holic
2,560 Posts
It's important to create a fixed-size contiguous file to avoid fragmentation and thrashing about to create a bigger file when necessary. If you give it a fixed block to work with, when it does need to use the HDD as swap memory, it's faster.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I did get that memory into the mail today. Let me know if it helps...
I did get the package today, and installed the RAM, and this is what I have.....

If I go to the system folder, it tells me I still have 523,760 kb of ram, and I still have the 766 Mb recommended initial size, and 4093 mb max size (no change there) however... if I look at the C drive properties it shows 4.05 GB used space, and 23.8 GB free space with a capacity of 27.9 GB.

I still have the initial size set at 766 MB, and the max is still at 4093 MB, so really not sure what to do now.

Thank you very much for sending this stuff greatly appreciated, now all I have to do is figure it out.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts