Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The paint on my rear bumper is chipping off. What should i do to fix it? Do i sand it down? Do i treat as if it were metal?

thanks

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Original paint, or a repaint???

Pretty rare that the original paint chips off. Toyota did their paint process correctly.

Now if this was a repaint, then the only thing that possibly could have gone wrong, is if the person shooting/spraying the paint did not mix in a flex agent into the paint.

Either way, you need to get the old paint off, in order for the new paint to stick in this case. Otherwise, the new paint will start chipping off also.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its orignal paint, its the sliver color i see lots of supras in. it looks like its cracking or like wearing out. So to remove the piant on a plastic thing like the bumper i just us sandpaper? and the ndo i prime it and then ect. ?

thanks

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Bojangles905 said:
its orignal paint, its the sliver color i see lots of supras in. it looks like its cracking or like wearing out. So to remove the piant on a plastic thing like the bumper i just us sandpaper? and the ndo i prime it and then ect. ?

thanks
Ah, it's the original Silver Metallic??? Was the paint really neglected??? Usually in this case, it's a sign that the clearcoat is wearing or peeling off

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it looks to me like its just over use maybe like from people sitting on it over the years or standing on it. I sanded a part of it with 2000 grit and then sprayed it with the metalic silver and then top coat. So far it looks pretty good. Will that be enough?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts