Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
what process did you go through i mean the tape up and stuff order of paint just wondering im doing mine soon
Oh man. It sucked. They were caked in oil and half flaked original paint. First I shot them both with paint stripper from Home Depot and after it sat 15 mins I cleaned them with a toothbrush and hosed off with water, I did that twice for both cover. Then I cleaned them with soap and water, rinsed clean and dried. Then I stuffed the grommet/bolt holes with masking tape and cut around the edges (as well as masked the oil filler and the two hose barbs) and shot them all over with the engine primer, 3 coats total. Then they sat for a week, partly to let the primer cure well and partly because that was all done on a Sunday and every weeknight I get home after dark and it's wet out pretty often. Then on Saturday I put on 3 coats of the Chevy Orange, mostly focused on the raised portion, I got quite a bit of orange overspray on the sides and in the ruts anyway. After they dried to the touch I put them in front of a heater fan where they got nice and toasty for several hours while they dried/set. That brings us to today (here comes the fun part) where I masked the raised portion with frog tape and cut around it all with an X-Acto like that. I think I used two blades total. Then I shot them all over with 3 coats of flat black, let them set 15 mins and pulled the masking tape off. Next step is to pat yourself on the back and take pictures of course ;)

they came out real nice, now to put them on the engine and take more pics ;)
Oh god no. I wont post a picture of my engine bay right now lol. These valve covers were leaky, and I have lots more cleaning to do.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Finally got the motor and bay cleaned up enough that I was ready to put these on. Still not done putting everything back together, but with the intake still off it's a perfect photo op for the covers.

Click to make bigger.

Chya!

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Where do you live in Oregon? I'm in Portland, we should meet up sometime:)
I am in Oregon City. I work in SE Portland but I never drive the Supra to work because I have to park on the street a few blocks from my work and I cant keep an eye on it, and because I don't have current tags right now. Gotta DEQ it when I'm done messing around with it, might be doing that soon. I'm down to meet up sometime. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts