Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever painted a dash?

On my Black mk2 the Dash is all cracked up and broken, and I recently got this blue dash that someone gave me with no cracks on it. Now I was thinking about painting it black, with that special paint (dont remember the name, but its for plastic) Will that work on it?

·
Super Moderator
8,393 Posts
You should use a vinyl dye on it not paint. SEM makes a really good vinyl interior dye.

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where can I get some of that Interior dye?

·
Super Moderator
8,393 Posts
You should be able to find some at auto parts store and auto body paint stores locally. I think the Eastwood company sells the stuff as well if you want to buy it over the net.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The sem stuff works really well, but you have to clean the surface really well with a good paint reducer (not paint thinner). It is also expensive, about $10-$15us. In order to do the whole dash expect to use 2-3 cans for good coverage. If you want something that is a bit cheaper and works well try Painters Touch spray paint. I used that on alot of my interior. It is pretty flexible and durable.

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well I got some of that SEM stuff ill see how it comes out.

Thanks for the help, Ill be posting pics later for the outcome

·
Registered
791 Posts
The sem stuff works very well! Used it in my truck for the altimeter/clinometer gauges that came in the older 4-runners/trucks about a year ago, and seems to be doing quite well. No fading or cracking...

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well I just sprayed it on and OMG it looks so good, almost like new :p.

thanks for the help

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:pat: :shifty: ohh I forgot about this post. I will post them as soon as I get home.

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok here goes

after, (pic not so good) and I know I know its missing that little plastic thing on the driver side, but its still way better than what i have on right now

Before, (pic not so good)

·
Registered
991 Posts
Looks good Zank. Not hard, just takes patience and a steady hand.

I had to do the same thing with my black dash before I put it in. The whole thing turned white when I oiled it. What a PITA, to degrease and paint it.

Leslie

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
man that dash looks sweeet makes me wanna rip mine out and go at it.....lol but i'm lazy i'll just leave it.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I have some maroon interior parts that have been baked to an almost black color due to sun. These parts include the upper steering colmun cover, rear speaker covers and the top surface of the part below the quarter glass. I've used the SEM flexible coat on faded carpet with good results. Will the SEM dye work on plastic and vinyl that has darkened from it's original color? Lighter colors don't always cover well over dark colors. Has anyone tried this with luck?

Staying outside the lines of my coloring book.
Scott

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hey zankone, was it hard to get the dash out? I want to remove mine and do a repair job on it also...but it looks hard to get out...do you have a guide?

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
NiGHTS said:
Hey zankone, was it hard to get the dash out? I want to remove mine and do a repair job on it also...but it looks hard to get out...do you have a guide?
:oops: I've never taken the dash out. The dash I took out was given to me from another mk2 owner. The one that I painted is still sitting in the Garage waiting to be installed :roll:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Oh ok fair enough. :)

Has anyone here removed the dash? I have removed the bottom parts when I installed my stereo...but as far as the main top part of the dash, I have no idea where to start... *sigh* :(

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Removing the dash honestly is not all that difficult, it just looks intimidating. If you've removed all the lower pieces before then you're already half way there. Most screws, bolts, nuts that need to be removed are easily visible and can be simply traced by looking at the part you're in the process of removing and scanning the perimeter for all attachment points. An important step to aid re-assembly: Mark all parts as they are removed and bag the screws with each respective part. Number the parts as they are removed: 1, 2, 3, etc. For install simply reverse the order and start with the highest number and go in reverse. I've removed the dash a few times now and still do this. No matter how easy you think it is you will never remember where everything goes.

0. Buy beer.
1. Remove all lower dash covers (left and right), glove box door and glove box.
2. To make things easier you should remove the steering wheel and covers.
3. Remove stereo surround.
4. remove gauge hood and gauge cluster.
5. Remove the top defrost vents, there are 4 screws at the base of the windshield.
6. Disconnect the wiring harness for the sensor on top of the dash.
7. You will now have full access to all areas that have screws/bolts securing the dash.
8. After removing all the screws the dash may feel like it's still held in place. The outer corner dash vent have flexible tubing which needs to be popped off from the main ducting along the firewall.

Normal people worry me.
Scott

1 - 20 of 32 Posts