Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering purchase of a brown mk.II (that color just doesn't sound great to me) and since I would need to replace the hatch anyway, I was thinking of a repaint.
Right now I was thinking about either black or the stock blue (the one that looks like a grey with blue and light purple in it, you know what I'm talking about?)
Then I starting thinking it might be cool to go with a dark grey like the color that comes on the mk.IV that no-one has...
What do you guys think?
Thank you for your help!

·
Premium Member
6,116 Posts
What year?-85s had a great looking brown-called deep burgundy?-84s not bad either-Mike

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
You planning on getting Don Culbertson's 84???? The one w/ the 2-tone Deep Maroon/Mahogany paint????? Personally, I'd leave it, you don't see too many of this color combination!!!! I still have not seen this car yet, how's the condition of it???

If you get the Dark Blue Metallic, personally, I think you're going to have a color clash w/ the Maroon colored interior... Black might be okay.... Now which MKIV color are you talking about????

Since you're coming to the PacNW Nationals this weekend, if Ophir Ronen makes it to any of the events, THIS is the car that you will want to look at. His car is a perfect example of what 84 Deep Maroon is supposed to look like!!!!

And BTW, "Brown" was never available on any US Spec MKII's....

And don't get me started on "paint names" near me.... Esp when peeps call their Terra Cotta MKII's "Orange"..... Oi.......... :shock: :roll:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!

Thanks for all the replies guys!
The Mk.IV color that I am talking about is a dark grey, I have never seen it in real life but on Gran Turismo 3. :shock:
I will try to meet all you guys at the show and shine, and since I haven't seen the car yet, who knows, maybe I'll decide I like the dark brown.
Also yes, this is Don C's car. I have been talking to Shawn about it, and still have to get my lazy ass over to Everett to check it out.
Well, thanks for warning me about the blue! Looks like we are down to a different 3 contendors :eek: !
Hmmmm... decisions, decisions...
Thanks for your help guys!

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Well.......

Tough call on this one. Then again, it's quite possible that this Dark Gray is a Japan Spec color.... (Like for instance.... Yellow was available on some of the Japan 1999, 2000 2001 & 2002 JDM MKIV's).

And also keep in mind that Gran Turismo was made in Japan I believe.

At any rate..... AFAIK, Dark Gray was not available on any of the US Spec MKIV's. The only colors close to this was either Alpine Silver (93 - 97, which was a Light Gray), Quicksilver FX (98 only, which is sort of a Medium Gray), and Anthracite (aka, MSB... And MSB borders on a Dark Bronze sort of color).

And I've seen all 3 colors in person (just saw one tonight @ the PacNW Nationals, Daniel & Valerie's 98 QS).

·
Registered
360 Posts
AethisElf said:
Then I starting thinking it might be cool to go with a dark grey like the color that comes on the mk.IV that no-one has...
Oh....I wouldnt go so far as to say no-one.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Well,to see the car now,you'll have to make an appointment.Don has it back,his wife drove it to the show.

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
AethisElf,

PLEASE tell me that you showed up on Sunday???? If not.....

I took a look at the Maroonpra this past weekend, since it was parked next to my Redpra @ the Show n Shine at the Red Hook Brewery.

Other than the really nasty hatch rust (what a surprise, the hatch will need to be replaced, never seen rust on the top edge like that before), the REST of the paint on the other body panels were perfectly fine to me!!! I could NOT see any paint deteriation or oxidation anywhere!!! The paint will clean up VERY easily w/ some work (a very mild paint cleaner (like Meguiar's Body Scrub), clay bar, polish & wax) & the paint will look great!!! The Maroon leather P-Type seats were in fairly decent condition, the left side seatback side bolster needs to be redone (see the leather GP that Seamus is doing in Vancouver), the rest of the seats can be softened up w/ several applications of Leather conditioner & you should be fine.

Personally, I was VERY impressed w/ the condition of this car!!!! This is the first time I've seen a 84 P-Type 2-Tone Deep Maroon/Mahogany w/o the hatch spoiler (and that's only because of the "84 you get the leather interior, you don't get the factory hatch spoiler" quirk). Based on the body alone, it get's the Chris Eng seal of approval!!! And just about everyone knows how clean I keep both my Redpra & the Silver Slug MKI. IMHO, I would leave the body paint alone!!! All it needs, from outside appearances is a new hatch!!!! If I didn't already have 2 Supra's, I would consider getting this one for myself. :shock: :D I can see why Don picked this car up, & he's VERY fussy/picky about what he chooses.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts