Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys lets see if you know the answer to this one cuss I dont!! When Im in a parking lot or stuck in freeway traffic jam travling about 5mph or so my 83 Clieca Supra tends to decelerite while im still holding the gas down and then hops back on as if it never happend and then does it over and over. What can I do to fix this can it be the throttle body senser?? Or just a bad clutch??

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Might be TPS but mine has done that for a while and I know it has a new TPS in it. Some of them just do it.

·
Registered
792 Posts
If you experience this deceleration when you're barely touching the gas pedal, it's most definitely the tps slightly out of adjustment.
I don't know if many folks out there have noticed just how sensitive the tps really is. When adjusting the tps, moving it (literally) just a hair will throw it off! Also, if you have any mods done to your vehicle, you'll probably find setting the tps to stock will not be quite right and you'll experience the problem you describe.
Personally, I like setting it by hand instead of using a multimeter and feeler gauge. I think I can get a smoother throttle this way...
Good luck in getting it set!

·
Registered
793 Posts
Mu friend had this "hopping" and low speeds, it turned out to be a leak in his air intake pipe. Just to be sure, re-tigted and check for cracks. Prolly TPS though, but worth a look anyway.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I think that might be a problem with my engine as well. I have to get the car rolling but right after I do, the rpms drop dramatically and it's hard to keep the rpms high unless I'm going down hill (it's lightning fast down hill). The only way I can keep up with traffic at a stoplight is by double clutching right after I start rolling. Otherwise, the engine will drop from 3000 rpms to 700 rpms and I won't go anywhere. Is this the same problem that you were having? If so, I shouldn't remove the tps should I? I don't have aftermarket fuel management stuff... yet... so I'll try to adjust it if that's the source of the problem. Let me know if I can just take it off though, I don't have experience with all this electrical stuff.

·
Registered
792 Posts
You have to have the tps for the car to run! Even with aftermarket fuel management, I think you still have to run with a tps-although I could be wrong about that one.
I posted somewhere a link to properly setting the tps with an ohm meter. Try doing a search on tps and you should have a bunch of info on the subject!

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No thats not the prab. I had as it stats its more like a hop from a crusing speed more like 5 to 10 mph. in 1st gear I would be holding the gas down for that speed and then the speed just cut off and then HOP back on. LOL for few weeks I had my very own MK2 Supra Lowrider 8)

Any way as someone stated that the car cant work without the TBS well I dont know if this goes for all MK2 Supra but as for mine it works perfectly with out it.

Oh by the way my nk2 is an 83

·
Super Moderator
10,546 Posts
my wifes corolla is doing that too, which is weird as I set the tps 100 percent correct according to the FSRM when I rebuilt the intake manifold. Guess I'll have to check for leaks in the intake.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts