Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I was in Barnes & Noble bookstore the other day and found a performance handbook that is just loaded with excellent info. on nearly everything that you may already or not already know about building engines and performance or have questions about certain topics. Price is $20.00 US and you get a lot of info. for the dollar! I posted a pic. of the front cover on the Yahoo MKII site in the files section under "handbook".
BTW, how do you post and access photos on this forum??

Enjoy!!

Dave A.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
i'm definitly gonna have to get me a copy of that book, thanks man

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Whats the title and author too please?

thanks

wil

·
Super Moderator
10,546 Posts
I take it this is the Toyota Performance Handbook by Pat Bradden? (I think I mispelled the last name). Excellent book, I've had mine for years. Its something of a performance bible for toyotas. Its gone by different names in the past, including the TRD Performance Handbook. I belive it was written at around 1991. It has a decent amount of info on the mk2 on it, very little on the mk3 supra, but it mostly focuses on the AE86 and earlier corollas and celicas, alot on 2tg and 3tg engines. Either way the book is a real good read, lots of interesting stories and info, and it makes for a great introduction to basic engine theory, mechanics, suspension and performance mods. It doesn't get too deep into anything, but touches on everything (everything that was around in 91 anyways, ie don't expect a section on standalone ecus). It also has ton of TRD part numbers in it, most of which won't do you any good now as theres very little trd stuff for the mk2 available in japan now, but you never know.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Dave, Thanks for posting the ISBN. Turns out my local Barnes and Noble had to use it to find the single copy they had in the store! I will be adding it to my library.

For others who may be interested, it is a fairly recent book by Davis. Most of the information would appeal to persons who want to boost performance of a Supra. The section on nitrous oxide looked pretty complete. In my instance, I need a good book about adding a couple of Webers to my 6mge (in order to disconnect the "e".)

No, it is not Pat Braden's book.

Bobby L.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I got this book a little while ago. GREAT book! I read it right after Corky Bell's book. Definately on the top 5 books any motorhead should read!

Another great read is Bosch Fuel Injection by Charles Probst, for those of you how are a little uncertain about fuel injection's workings.

Can someone post the ISBN of the toyota book that was mentioned?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Bob, It's Toyota Performance Handbook, by Pat Braden, Motorbooks International, 1990, ISBN 0-87938-320-8.

It may be out of print, but stores such as Barnes and Noble, Borders or other large chains can check quickly for you.

If you get a copy, look at the picture on page 74 of the triple solex set-up for a Supra and tell me which engine you think the set-up would fit!

Bobby L.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
HOLY HELL. :shock:

I just looked at Amazon.com for that book.... $393.20!?!? Does the book come with a Mechanic attached to the inside?

·
Registered
8,519 Posts
Hey Bob - I just double-checked Amazon. Thats gotta be a typo - no way that ANYONE is gonna spent that much on this book. Its a nice book filled with old school mod ideas, but nothing earthshattering.

Hope to see ya on the 10th!

·
Registered
34 Posts
The Amazon.Com price this morning for the Toyota Performance Handbook is $393.95, so it's going up. I think that I better put a book cover on the copy that I have and when the price hits $500 I may consider selling.

Bobby L. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts