Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
8,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend we installed the JDK air conditioning kits with the help of fellow mk2ers Joe Bartek and Curt Cozart. Joe's expertise was invalubale for making these installs as seamless and stealth as possible.

I cannot say enough abt how well thought out JDK's kit is. He did a phenomenal job of assembling quality components and laying everything out for optimum performance and efficiency. Everything looks proper too.

Now that my system is charged and working, Im recording 40-45 F vent temps at idle, and it drops to 34 F under speed. Im actually looking forward to the hot and humid days of summer now. Its been almost 20 years since Ive had functioning AC in the Blupra.

Some fun photos as we went along...

·
Registered
8,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Phil was kind enough to snap this pic while I was in severe pain from a muscle spasm... thanks dickhead!

Yes im taking the opportunity to vacuum the radiator face since my condensor is out. Cant keep those unseen leaves in there!

Here is 23 years of junk collected on the inside of Phil's Evaporator

Phil's new Expansion Valve...

·
Registered
8,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Here Joe is making easy work of rebuilding my EPR...

yes I was cringing while Joe dangled cigarette ash over my engine bay LOL.

Here Im prepping Phil's condensor mounts.

Phil breaking things...

OOPS dont forget the thermostatic probe Joe!!!

Phil now an expert at removing the Evaporative Core in record time.

Here is evidence of my furry lil bastards squatting in my Evaporator... yyuucckk!

Same Evaporator after a thorough cleaning and disinfecting...

Group effort!!!

Hearfelt thanks to Joe for his invaluable assistence.... he's a class act through and through!

The end.

·
Registered
8,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Did you get pics of the mouse hole in your blower fan?
good idea... I didnt think of that!

Thank you for the replacement squirrelcage.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Greg G said:
Amazing - you even have a Toyota fender cover!

You are the man!

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Toyota Fender cover? Too much. I do see a bath towel on the other side though :)

PS, I did spend 10 minutes trying to find one on the Internets. Think I'll just get the cheap ones

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
LOL my brother gave me the fender cover 20-some years ago.

I love how you guys nit-pick the smallest shit
Like you don't? LOL!

Seriously, I'd love to have one myself! :)

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
everyone here can give crap about the fender cover, but all those same people (I included) would love to have a nice set to throw over the fenders of our supras during work...and maybe a third to go over the header panel and bumper.

I can only dream of a good working AC unit in my supra..window down and head out of it works good at freeway speeds.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
everyone here can give crap about the fender cover, but all those same people (I included) would love to have a nice set to throw over the fenders of our supras during work...and maybe a third to go over the header panel and bumper.

I can only dream of a good working AC unit in my supra..window down and head out of it works good at freeway speeds.
Scott, I said as much - I searched for them and said so. But I had to give Greg a rash over having a Toyota one (and he only has one). Yesterday my belt buckle scratched my fender as I was cleaning the engine bay on the White 82 = 5 minutes to buff it out.

For those looking, Amazon.com has plain ones for $9 each, or fancy ones with pockets for tools for about $22 each. Greg's are over 20 years old; my quick search didn't find any Toyota ones (and I did check Jay Marks Toyota), though I'm cheap and will only buy a Toyota labeled one if the price is comparable to function.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
I'm only giving him crap because I'm jealous! :)

I think it's a great thing to have - and would much prefer a Toyota one over the generic one I have now.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Well that was certainly a fun weekend. Mucho thanks to Joe B and Curt for their efforts. I actually got my hands dirty (but just a little). Taking out and reinstalling that evaporator box is a royal PITA though.

I'm waiting a few weeks to get my system charged up - hopefully the outside temps will heat up. Regardless - it will be done in time by Damon's. I'm psyched. No sunroof = baking oven in the summer in my car.

Greg + Fender Cover = Big Dork! Just razzin you G-mizzle :badger:

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts
Great work on such a huge job. Love the pics and team work.

...I'm waiting a few weeks to get my system charged up ...
I was wondering about that. Isn't it important to not let any moisture enter the system? Any moisture in the system will mix with the gas and form an acid which eats the the A/C from inside out. This is impossible when installing all the parts as outside air will get in. Would it not be prudent to have the system dried and filled as soon as everything is together? Before ambient temprature fluctuates.

Possibly I am being over cautious, but the cleaner the system the longer it will last.

·
Super Moderator
8,165 Posts
Did you guys have any problems with installing yours? I must have got a complete lemon on mine. Most of the lines didn't fit, etc.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts