Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres some progress of my mk2 build she is coming along nicely and I am hopefully going to be doing an engine swap soon. Any recommendations bc I can’t decide between 1uz,1jz,7mgte or maybe a f20c

·
Premium Member
5,864 Posts
BE-YOU-TEE-FULL Supra. Is the 5M too tired and underpowered for you? Your car still looks like a stock Supra and it would be a travesty to hack it up for a turbo engine and the peripherals, IMO.
The 5M ain't a powerhouse, but it LOOKS fast, just sitting there.
You should be very proud to be it's owner. (y) :cool:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BE-YOU-TEE-FULL Supra. Is the 5M too tired and underpowered for you? Your car still looks like a stock Supra and it would be a travesty to hack it up for a turbo engine and the peripherals, IMO.
The 5M ain't a powerhouse, but it LOOKS fast, just sitting there.
You should be very proud to be it's owner. (y) :cool:
Oh don’t get me wrong I love the 5m. It’s a really good engine but soon for me is like 5-7 years down the line. I honestly love the car stock and will prob keep it stock till the engine dies out. I just wanted to hear some opinions on what engines ppl prefer
Edit: and yes I am very proud to own this car! I love it and I’m still in the process of restoring the interior and some exterior things

·
Registered
921 Posts
I think it really depends on what your goal is (and if you're like me, that changes every day or two!).

The 7MGTE is sort of the 'old school' approach to hot rodding the Mk II. When you look at this forum, or it's predecessor in the early days, this is the way people went to make more serious horsepower. The other choices weren't available then and this was a relatively easy way to make a real step up in power with Toyota factory(ish) reliability. It had it's drawbacks; blown head gaskets were a major problem. The 7MGE was readily available then and aftermarket support was relatively good. Now, the supply of 7MGE's has pretty well dried up. Even Toyota parts are going to get harder to get a hold of. In 5 years time this will only get worse. The beauty of it, is this really would look old school hot rod. Some of the most famous Mark II's such as Agatha and Athena took this approach, and your car would have that cachet.

The 1UZ will make North American gear heads drool with a V8 like a classic North American car, but I suspect that the JDM crowd expect an Inline 6 under the hood. It just seems sacrilegious to change the format. I think this would be like putting a Small Block Chevy in a Mustang!!!!! I also don't think that the effort required to make this wider engine fit really gives you enough power in return for the effort.

An F20C? Now you're just talking dirty. A Honda? Gaak. See comments on 1UZ. And a HONDA? I think I'm suffering hysterical blindness. And did I mention it's a Honda? I don't care how fast you go, it's a Honda.

I think that the really practical approach is the 1JZ or 2JZ either normally aspirated or turbocharged. They can make great reliable power, they are relatively affordable. Parts availability is still there. There is great aftermarket support for additional power. A lot of people have done the swap and documented it so it's something that you wouldn't be pioneering. It's an Inline 6 so it is a member of the family so to speak.

As these cars get older and more rare, I'd like to think there is one final approach and that's to do the really early hot-rod approach: Find one of the early turbo kits available for the 5M-GE from some of the pioneers of turbocharging. Spearco made a kit that has great aesthetics. They actually sold kits that had matching graphics on the body.

Cartech, Calloway, and HKS all made kits that sold in very low numbers. Most of them were limited in power, chiefly because of the lack of aftermarket EFI controllers at the time. Your car looks beautiful, and I think that this would be an approach to hot rod your car while keeping it truly period correct, and respecting it's increasing rarity. These will never make big power, but they also match the natural good looks of the 5M-GE (and 6M-GE) engines that help make the underhood of a Mark II so special.

Just food for thought.

And congratulations, your car is beautiful.

Dale

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think it really depends on what your goal is (and if you're like me, that changes every day or two!).

The 7MGTE is sort of the 'old school' approach to hot rodding the Mk II. When you look at this forum, or it's predecessor in the early days, this is the way people went to make more serious horsepower. The other choices weren't available then and this was a relatively easy way to make a real step up in power with Toyota factory(ish) reliability. It had it's drawbacks; blown head gaskets were a major problem. The 7MGE was readily available then and aftermarket support was relatively good. Now, the supply of 7MGE's has pretty well dried up. Even Toyota parts are going to get harder to get a hold of. In 5 years time this will only get worse. The beauty of it, is this really would look old school hot rod. Some of the most famous Mark II's such as Agatha and Athena took this approach, and your car would have that cachet.

The 1UZ will make North American gear heads drool with a V8 like a classic North American car, but I suspect that the JDM crowd expect an Inline 6 under the hood. It just seems sacrilegious to change the format. I think this would be like putting a Small Block Chevy in a Mustang!!!!! I also don't think that the effort required to make this wider engine fit really gives you enough power in return for the effort.

An F20C? Now you're just talking dirty. A Honda? Gaak. See comments on 1UZ. And a HONDA? I think I'm suffering hysterical blindness. And did I mention it's a Honda? I don't care how fast you go, it's a Honda.

I think that the really practical approach is the 1JZ or 2JZ either normally aspirated or turbocharged. They can make great reliable power, they are relatively affordable. Parts availability is still there. There is great aftermarket support for additional power. A lot of people have done the swap and documented it so it's something that you wouldn't be pioneering. It's an Inline 6 so it is a member of the family so to speak.

As these cars get older and more rare, I'd like to think there is one final approach and that's to do the really early hot-rod approach: Find one of the early turbo kits available for the 5M-GE from some of the pioneers of turbocharging. Spearco made a kit that has great aesthetics. They actually sold kits that had matching graphics on the body.

View attachment 14919

Cartech, Calloway, and HKS all made kits that sold in very low numbers. Most of them were limited in power, chiefly because of the lack of aftermarket EFI controllers at the time. Your car looks beautiful, and I think that this would be an approach to hot rod your car while keeping it truly period correct, and respecting it's increasing rarity. These will never make big power, but they also match the natural good looks of the 5M-GE (and 6M-GE) engines that help make the underhood of a Mark II so special.

Just food for thought.

And congratulations, your car is beautiful.

Dale
Thanks for the advice I appreciate it and I’ll take it all into consideration!!! :)

·
Registered
921 Posts
You are welcome.

And you have to remember that ultimately, what you want to do, for whatever reason, is the right thing to do!

We like to discuss things (what do you mean argue?), but no one on this forum really wants to try to strong arm someone into something they don't like.

Whatever you do we will be waiting to see the process and the results.

Dale

Reactions: JayTeee

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You are welcome.

And you have to remember that ultimately, what you want to do, for whatever reason, is the right thing to do!

We like to discuss things (what do you mean argue?), but no one on this forum really wants to try to strong arm someone into something they don't like.

Whatever you do we will be waiting to see the process and the results.

Dale
Thanks lol I appreciate your input a lot! Honestly I’ve been debating on 1jz or 2jz but I’ll go with the 1j first and wear that out and when I get the money and time I’ll go for a 2j

1 - 8 of 8 Posts