Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need a piece of headliner for my 83 Celica GT-S, the ivory colored perforated material. Need a piece about 6 in. x 1 in. (or two pieces about 3 in. x 1 in.). Of course a bigger piece would be better! I believe they used this same material possibly from 1982-1985 and also used it for the Supra's.

Celica.HL.3.jpg

·
Super Moderator
10,531 Posts
Black interior in your car? There are actually several different shades the headliners came in, and the surrounding plastics.

Are you going to attempt to cut a section out of yours and then replace it with this patch? Would probably be pretty hard to make that look good. Maybe you can find a whole headliner near you thats in good shape.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, black interior and black exterior, very similar to a Supra's interior of the same year as a friend had a 83 black Supra. The holes are fairly small, about the size of the end of a thumb. Don't know about different shades of ivory, guess I'll find out if I ever find a piece.

celica_4.jpg

·
Super Moderator
10,531 Posts
I belive the 84 or 85+ supras with black interior had a slightly different shade of grey, but I think the early Supras and Celicas all had the same tone if they had black interiors. But I would fix your problem by either recovering your existing liner (which is all but impossible to match the factory material), or replace it completely. From the sounds of your damage, I think some kind of patch job would probably look worse then the problem you're trying to fix.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know, I don't think a patch would look worse than a hole if properly done. I think a new headliner would be several hundred as that's not something I could do. How often does someone look at the headliner anyhow.;):)

·
Super Moderator
10,531 Posts
To be recovered? Sure, but you could possibly replace the whole thing for 50 bucks if you can find a nice one nearby. The material they finished our headliners in is hard to replicate when recovering, but at least it doesn't degrade like most soft felt type ones do, they hold up pretty nice and of course never see any UVs.

·
Super Moderator
8,315 Posts
If you don't care about originality its relatively easy and cheap to redo the headliners in these cars. It would look a lot better than a random square patch in the middle IMO.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd like to try a patch of the original material first and see how it looks, the two holes are near the edges. Used ones are hard to find, hell, I can't even find a piece, and the ones I've seen were not very nice and were several hundred. A redo would probably be a better option if the patch doesn't work. Here's a used one, not all that nice (don't think it will fit an 83):
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1985-84-85-TOYOTA-CELICA-SUPRA-GT-HEADLINER-ROOF/283564174441?hash=item4205bdec69:g:7y8AAOSwWkxdPywN

1 - 8 of 8 Posts