Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I'm in the middle of resealing my engine, I figured I might as well do the clutch while it was out. I'm trying to remove the pilot bearing with no luck. I tried the grease trick with no luck. And I haven't seen (online anyway) anyplace close that has a pilot bearing removal tool. Snap-on and MAC have them, but I'm not gonna pay 50-60 bucks for it...Any other ideas?

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
hmm...Ive never had the grease trick not work. Did you pack it in with no air inside? Did you use the back of a drill bit that just barely fit in the hole?

Christian

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used an old transmission shaft, out of an older toyota...tight fit. It blew the outer bearing cover off. After that I destroyed one chisel, almost 2...tried to finish of the bearing so just the outer sleave was there so I could try the grease trick again...

·
Registered
793 Posts
Hehehe. I had the same problem when I replaced my clutch. I broke 3 screwdrivers, and used many of my good curse words. What finally did it? A Tire Iron. Yes, thats right. I have a tire iron, 4-way, with one end a bid flat blade (like for removing hubcaps) It is very thick, and you have lots of leverage. After destroying the inner race and covers with the 3 broken screwdrivers, I used the 4-way on the outer race, and it popped right out! :) Hope that helps.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
I have used a dremel with a cylinder shaped stone,cut a groove thru one side,falls right out.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
luckily i have never had to replace my clutch but i plan to sooon and i have a buddy that has a pilot bearing removal tool, i feel lucky after listening to your stories

·
Registered
793 Posts
Yeah, looking back if I ever had to do it again, I would definitely get a puller. Worth whatever it might cost to rent it.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
To be honest guys,if the grease method doesn't work,chances are the puller won't either.Actualy,the pullers kinda suck to use,just my opinion of course :D

·
Registered
793 Posts
Im telling you, the 4-way never fails...

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Is a pilot bearing the same as a release bearing?
I am transferring over the flywheel and clutch from one engine and putting it where the flexplate of another engine is. However, my problem is that there is a bearing in the end of the crankshaft and I don't know how to get it out. But it sounds like you're all talking about the "release" bearing and not what I need to remove. Any suggestions on how to remove the bearing I'm talking about?

·
Super Moderator
8,395 Posts
DRIFTINGmy85 said:
Is a pilot bearing the same as a release bearing?
I am transferring over the flywheel and clutch from one engine and putting it where the flexplate of another engine is. However, my problem is that there is a bearing in the end of the crankshaft and I don't know how to get it out. But it sounds like you're all talking about the "release" bearing and not what I need to remove. Any suggestions on how to remove the bearing I'm talking about?
No, the pilot bearing is the one on the crank. The easy way to get one out is with a slide hammer with a bolt that fits in the hole. Then hook it out the edge and tap it out all around. And why reuse it, its like a $8 part?

·
Registered
15,035 Posts
actually, i can get the pilot bearing for like $4. some pilot bearing pullers do fit inside. then you use a slide hammer. usually, you have to take the arms off the puller. get them both inside the bearing, then put them back on the puller. another trick is to find a bolt that fits the hole tight, then take some paper towels. get them wet and ring them out. pack as many as ya can in the hole. then use the bolt and smack it with a hammer to compact them, then remove and pack more and repeat. it will slowly hydraulic it out without the mess of tryin to pack grease in there.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The one I use is 'Blu-Tac' Dunno if you guys in the US and Aus have this, or if its under a differnt brand name, but its the stuff that you use to stick posters to walls. Its better then grease as it can't escape past the drill bit/bar you use to force it an and doesn't come through the bearing and pop the covers off. I just pack if full of that and use a bit of metal bar I have. I never bother re-using the pilot bearings as they are so cheap (if you go to a bearing supplier with the old one they are cheaper than the main stealer) and often the process of removing them hydraulically makes them go a bit 'tight'!!!

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
The pullers that they have here, at most auto stores, have fingers that are too big to fit in the hole.

However, after years of trying different things, this is what works best for me. A stock 7mgte head bolt fits right in the center (we all have these laying around right?). One good wack with a heavy hammer (downwards) and it breaks the center of the bearing out. All that is left is the outer ring. Then a typical bearing puller fits, and is used easily.

I have tried the grease thing over and over but it never works for me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts