Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've got the LJM bar up front already. I planning to go with a custom rear strut bar. I've got the front and rear addco sway bars already just not installed yet (waiting to hear back about the upgraded mounts). The only thing left in the equation is springs/shocks. I've given up on getting adjustable. I've decided on the Eibachs/KYB combination. Can anyone give me a better alternative or reason not to go this rout?

thanks

Will

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Will,

Springs: At this point, it's down to a personal preference. 1.0" drop, or 1.5" drop. Progressive or Linear spring rates.... Thus Eibach's or Suspension Techniques??

Shocks. Depends on what you want here. KYB Gas-A-Just's are the stiffest shocks/struts from what everyone has said so far... So in order from Stiffest to softest.... KYB Gas-A-Just's, Tokico HP's, KYB GR2's, Monroe (whatevers).

Now after all of this PLEASE TELL ME that you are also planning to at LEAST do a suspension bushing upgrade???? This is the ONE thing that to me, is missing in the equation... So now, it's down to a personal choice. Energy Suspension Polyurethane's??? Or P-S-T Polygraphite's (stiffest) ??

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I diffinatly need to do the bushing upgrade thing. Thanks for reminding me. I've got some parts aready but I guess getting the whole p-s-t set would be the best way to go. Any one have any ideas about bushings? I've got the lower controle arm bushing (Energy one) and the bushings that came with the sway bars what else do I need?

Anyone else? oppinions, coments?

Thanks

will

·
Super Moderator
10,546 Posts
Chris, thats a 1.3 inch claimed drop for the STs, and only the fronts are progressive. And its monroe sensatracs if you want to go that route. You'd be suprised how stiff they can be on a lowered car.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well part of the reason I want to go with progressive is I live on a fairly nasty gravel road...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Another option, you can get Koni Red adjustables here:

http://www.classicgarage.com/celicasupra1.html

I think we also get some sort of discount from them. I have them front and rear, eibach drop kit, PST "everything", addco's front and rear (rear mounts snapped off though), LJM front strut bar, custom rear bar and on Boston roads (which can get quite nasty) I haven't had too much of a problem. Ride quality and handling are great, apart from some issues with bump steer occasionally. I'll be adding in 1" aluminum spring spacers for the rear and hopefully RCA's up front in the nearish future. Can't think what else might be fun beyond say rims, trutrac/trd lsd diff, and perhaps racelogic traction control. mmm....traction control....
Tom

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well it has started.... I just orderd the whole P-S-T front and rear bushing kit no turning back now :)

Well it looks like I can't get the KYB's gas adj in the rear so now I'm either going to go with the Konis or tokicoHP
So the planed set ip is:

LJM frot strut bar
custome rear strut bar
Addco front and rear sway bars
P-S-T bushing kit front and rear
Either Eibach/Koni___or___Eibach/tokicoHP

Now if I could just decide on wheather I'm going to go with the Konis or tokicos... Help!

will

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tom
Your set up sounds exactly what I'm looking for. Could you tell me more about it? for example the 1" spacer you plan on using for the rear and the RCA? Hows the ride quility specifically on harsher road envirments? how about gravle?
thanks

will

Tom Cleary said:
Another option, you can get Koni Red adjustables here:

http://www.classicgarage.com/celicasupra1.html

I think we also get some sort of discount from them. I have them front and rear, eibach drop kit, PST "everything", addco's front and rear (rear mounts snapped off though), LJM front strut bar, custom rear bar and on Boston roads (which can get quite nasty) I haven't had too much of a problem. Ride quality and handling are great, apart from some issues with bump steer occasionally. I'll be adding in 1" aluminum spring spacers for the rear and hopefully RCA's up front in the nearish future. Can't think what else might be fun beyond say rims, trutrac/trd lsd diff, and perhaps racelogic traction control. mmm....traction control....
Tom

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Will,

Bushings: You will still need to use the rear sway bar bushings & the end link bushings that come w/ the rear Addco bar. All the rear PST bushing kit is, is for the lower control arms. Nothing for the rear bar.

Front kit is VERY complete! (WOO HOO!!!! Tie Rods!!! Lower Ball Joints, etc..).

One of these days, I need to order the PST front kit for the Silver Slug (yes it is available). The Redpra already has the full PST setup.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Let me ask you guys a question...
I am finishing my turbo settup right now and would like to do a lot of what was just described. however Im just really curious how much it does really affect the handling of these cars. My car is real sloppy right now, obviously its 20years old and all the buschings are surely shot on them, but with the above described settup does the car really feel a lot better?
I have stock everything accept gr-2's all around and was thinking that a 1" eibach drop/prokits/progressive would do it for me as far as the corners. However the bucshing thing sounds cool... did you guys notive a big difference? Do either of you autX your cars? How is the addco settup feel in turns?

Sorry to jack thread but it looks like you pretty much got your settup planned. Thanks,

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
by all means I have the same questions...

will

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well after reading some reviews I'm leaning twords the Koni....

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Super Moderator
8,393 Posts
Myself I would go with Tokico HPs. The two Koni rears I bought have leaked like a sib in the last 2k miles and one year. Its what you can expect from buying a 20 yr old shock absorber. The other option which I'll probably replace my Konis with would be Konis from a E36 Bimmer in the rear and GC coilover Konis in the front.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
SilverMk2 said:
Myself I would go with Tokico HPs. The two Koni rears I bought have leaked like a sib in the last 2k miles and one year. Its what you can expect from buying a 20 yr old shock absorber. The other option which I'll probably replace my Konis with would be Konis from a E36 Bimmer in the rear and GC coilover Konis in the front.
So the konis would be old leftover stock??

what is involved with the switch from the e36?

·
Super Moderator
8,393 Posts
So the konis would be old leftover stock??
Yeah, they've been discontinued for a long time. I would ask Don Lew on the forums about what is required to fit the e36 Konis on a MkII. I believe they are a direct fit though.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I seem to remember something about the Koni's from the Yahoo list discussions where someone mentioned Koni could rebuild the shocks for you including adding the option for external adjustments, but that wasn't cheap. Would have to search for that tho and it might just be fantasy. ;)

RE: the spacer and rca, there are a couple of threads on those. More or less, I've noticed some issues with bump steer while driving around Boston. When I hit a big pothole or bump in the road, the steering wheel jerks and the car feels like it wants to change direction. My understanding is that the roll center adjusters Jim King is having machined will help restore the stock geometry for cars that have been lowered, hopefully alleviating the bump steer. With the spacers, I'm a bit annoyed with the obvious negative camber in the rear so those are just an attempt to see if it can be corrected w/o returning to my sagging stock rear springs.

Anyways, regarding gravel and harsher road environments, I worry occasionally about bottoming out but have yet to encounter any problems. The bump steer can be a bitch on particularly nasty roads. I would imagine if the gravel road you travel on is well maintained, w/o huge potholes, you shouldn't have too much trouble. I don't find the ride to be too harsh but it's definitely a lot stiffer than stock. iirc, I set my Koni's to 1 away from their stiffest setting but I have no basis for comparison w/ other brands of shocks.

hth,
tom

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Tom!

Now I cant decide inbetween the Tokicos or konis...

will

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've got the P-S-T front kit now. I need the rear bar mounts the rear kit and the springs and shoxs and then its a go...

I keep updateing this as I go

I decided to go with the HP's

will

1 - 20 of 24 Posts