Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Can I use platinum plugs in my '83 Supra? Which year's platinum plugs will work on it? Toyota says they aren't available for the '83, but I thought I remembered using them before. Thanks,

Kurt

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
i put in Bosch Platinum 4 spark plugs in my 85. They are not the best but they are ok

·
Super Moderator
8,362 Posts
You should be able to get platinum plugs for an 83 from Toyota. 82s were regular plugs but 83 and up were platinum. ND platinum are pretty expensive from the dealer (like $8 list). If you want to save a few bucks NGK platinums work just as good and can be had from many parts stores. Ther is no reason you can't use copper, platinums, or iridiums. Biggest difference is the latter two have a longer lifespan.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I found bosch to be really bad with spark plugs for toyota's. NGK's I found to run good along with denso. :wink:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi,
Another question I have is, do the NGK plugs need to be gapped or can I use them straight out of the box? Thanks,

Kurt

·
Registered
791 Posts
It's always a good idea to check the gap on each plug before installing them. Of the 6 ND Iridiums I installed in the Supra, 3 were off, and one of 'em was WAY off.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Some plugs have the gap set at the factory, but you can still check it. The owners manual should be able to tell you what the gap is supposed to be. Regarding platinum plugs, I do not know for sure, but I have read that platinum is used for longevity, but copper is still a better material for power. Anyboy know the full info on this?

·
Premium Member
7,930 Posts
NGK BPR5EP-11 gap .043" or 1.1mm

or NDP16R

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gap in spark plugs for '83 5M-GE

Hi,
I hope that 1.1 mm was for the '86 5M-GE, otherwise I am confused, because according to the Toyota 1983 Celica Supra Repair Manual the NGK (BPR 5E P11) plugs are supposed to have a 1.4mm gap(.055 in). That is a difference of .3 mm... is this significant?

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
AJ said:
NGK BPR5EP-11 gap .043" or 1.1mm

or NDP16R
I have the NGK BPRs in my 82...my gap is 0.031in(0.8mm) This is from the 82 TSRM. but they are platinum and they run fine You can also Index the plugs. This can help.

-Index: while the plugs are still out of the car use a felt marker and mark the ceramic part on the same side as the gap. When you put the plugs in check to see if this lines up with the intake valve. If not try it in a different cylinder. If your lucky you can get them to line up pretty well. Like I said this can help...how much is a matter of debate. But every little bit helps :wink:
-Wil

·
Registered
290 Posts
My 83' has a little sticker infront of the radiator that says to use only platinum plugs. Hawaiian, what brand of iridium plugs do you use and what is the part # for them? I'd like to get iridiums since they supposedly cause less strain on the ignition due to the lower amount of power needed to make a spark.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
PLat's are crap IMO... Being as most of us here are "Car guys" (and gals), and seem to enjoy tinkering on our cars, run the coppers. They are cheaper, give a better, truer spark than the plats, and give an excuse to tinker on your car for an afternoon every 30K miles... PLus, for the turbo guys, most turbo manufactorers recommend using only coppers.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Copper vs. other spark plugs

I can't speak to power in the supra, but my 355cid dirt track firebird dynos about 8 more hp with copper over standard or plat. plugs.
BUT I run plat in the supra mostly because manual says to, and my wife had a 1984 2.2 dodge charger(POS) which would not idle unless it had plats in it.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I got my plats from Ebay. 16 for 45CAN including shipping Thats less than 3 dollars each. I couldnt pass it up.
-Wil

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Dragonfyre said:
ping once and it's bye bye electrode.
Why would aiming the gap at the intake valve cause the electrode to break if the engine pings? Specifically how does the intake valve affect the electrode.
If the engine is pinging it shouldnt matter if the electrode is facing the intake exhaust firewall or radiator. It hasnt physically changed its location or depth so it is equally vulnerable.
-Wil
trying to understand

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Indexing the spark plugs is an old engine builders trick. Proper indexing can help unshroud the spark and help promote better ignition of the fuel/air mixture. The stock ND and NGK Platinum plugs are "platinum tipped". Platinum is a very hard metal and helps extend the life of the spark plug electrodes to approximately 60,000 miles under normal conditions. Platinum can also become brittle after being exposed to high heat which is why you should never attempt to re-gap a platinum tipped plug. Detonation can damage just about any type of spark plug, but platinums are especially vulnerable due in part to the brittle nature of the platinum tipped electrodes.

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
The 82 MKII's have a more conventional style transistorized ignition system and run a narrower gap on the spark plugs, .031" if I remember correctly. :roll: The 83 and up MKII's have the hotter ignition setup with the ESA system and run the gap at .039"-.043" with .055" being the maximum limit.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts