Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see all these stories where people are beating these newer cars with their 5mge's like people are saying that they beat the early 90's celicas and cars like that. my friend has one a 93 celica gt-s and i just cant beat him in any drag races and when we are on the freeways he gets me on the high end. it just seems that my car lacks serious power it is a 86 2.8l 5mge if you could give me some suggestions on what i can do to regain the power and then some more suggestions on how to increase the hp that are resonably priced. Because i am just getting spanked by cars like a 94 ford probe and a 2003 Chevy cavilier that has around 140 hp

·
Registered
310 Posts
Well for starters i completly rebuilt my engine redo my head cleaned out fuel system. My engine is a 6mge with headers, intake, air, exhaust 2.5'' pipping and muff. And just the other day i got walked by one of them new v6 camary thought he was alone and i had 3peps including me with full cargo on the rear. IT was not that bad he pulled on me slooowwwly near 120 and i backed out.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I know what your saying, our cars only had decient power in the early 80's and by todays standards they are pretty slow. It all comes down to driving, race those people on some twisties and see what happens or swap the motor.
Brian

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
A Ford probe GT V6 and a New Cavalier----> Been victims of my Rebuilt and all stock 5MGE (havent gone up against a 93 Celica GTS)

It all depends on the driver ,how well you have your car tuned, and how much weight you have in your car (people, ext.). A couple of things you can do to make that 5M a bit stronger is get Headers, intake, and Exhaust.

·
Registered
178 Posts
You also have to consider that a ~20 year old engine would have lost alot of it's power. Although it may be 160hp from the factory it may only be producing 150 or 140hp now just from being tired and worn out. When I had my original 5m-ge I had just over 200,000 miles on it. It was a bit sluggish although still quick.
Once I had the 6m-ge put in and there was a very large increase in power and response. One from the 6m-ge being .2 liters larger, and two cause the 6m-ge was newer and in better condition than an 18 year old engine with 200k miles on it.
The new clutch and refinshed flywheel also made a big difference when shifting. There was now no sluggish feeling between shifts as it would now hook up easier without feeling like it was riding into second and third and would even give a good squeel of the tires in second.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
how much does it run to put a 6m-ge in and how much labor?

and that flywheel what did you put it?

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
add_tooth said:
how much does it run to put a 6m-ge in and how much labor?

and that flywheel what did you put it?
There are alot of threads and topics on the forum about 6MGE hp output and swaps. We also have a guy that sells 6M's, he is over here in Cali (I dont know where you are at) just look for them an youll find them. :wink:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what would you suggest the 6mge or the 7m-gte
and could you explain some difference in the engine to expect when transplanting

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
well to what most people say :

6MGE- around 180 Hp easy drop in,
7MGTE- around 230 Hp -needs some minor mods to swap in, and you would need some $$$ to do it right.

If I had money I would of had the 85 Black 7MGTE by now but im still working to finish my 84 white 6MGE with I/H/E

It all depends on how much your willing to spend on it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
is it worth it put the 6mge in or should i just save money and put the 7m in?

the only thing i am intimidated about doing the swap is the wiring and having every thing work

·
Registered
43 Posts
add_tooth said:
is it worth it put the 6mge in or should i just save money and put the 7m in?

the only thing i am intimidated about doing the swap is the wiring and having every thing work
I have the 6m as well and soon to have similar mods as everyone else. It runs real strong, but the other day on the freeway(on my way to drop off the supra to get all kinds of goodies put on), I got into it with this 92 accord that was slammed and had a coffee can exhaust. Granted-I didn't downshift, but I only started pulling away from that guy when I redlined fourth gear and shifted into 5th. Point is that winning by an inch or a mile is still winning. If you want to ensure victory over most cars get the 7mgte. If you'd like to embarrass most cars, then go with the 7mgte and build the crap out of it. Good luck to you -Jason

1 - 11 of 11 Posts