Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so my 82 supra is kinda crappy and old ....... today we discovered that the timing is off... we have a gun to read the timing but how do we get the gears to function at the same time.... i do have some knowledge about cars but if you could please explain in a semi newb way so i can understand haha
SO what im asking is how do i adjust the timing !

ALSO my friends and I discovered that the popping sound my engine makes is coming from the intake ? possibly caused by the sensor ? any ideas on this ?

·
Registered
555 Posts
The timing is changed by moving the distributor one way or the other after loosening the bolt that holds it in place.

The popping sound may be a blown head gasket (sorry) the popping is the power stroke blow by into another cylinder that is on the intake stroke so the valve is open allowing it to go back into the intake, my junkyard motor had the same issue. It shouldn't be a bent valve as the 5M is a non interference motor, have you checked the oil?? does it look like there is water in it, it will look like sort of like mayonaise if there is water. You should also check/find out if your cams are in the correct orientation before changing the timing, THERE ARE HOLES THAT LINE UP under the cam covers when the motor is at #1 TDC, you can see one if you remove the oil cap and look into the opening, for the other you must remove the exhaust cam cover.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts