Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was cruising tonight with a buddy and pulled out of a parking lot along with a bunch of other crusiers. As I accelereated away a cop gave chase and pulled me over. They asked if I have an exhaust and I said yes a performance exhaust. She said I was too loud and took my papers. When she returned I asked if she had a decibel meter and if so could I see the reading. She said she didnt have one. I replied that I would see her in court and drove away. Meanwhile there are honduhs with thier over sized fart cans buzzing by the whole time and some were at least as loud as mine.
So i guess i have a court date with a police officer If she shows up.
The fine is 57.00 dollars. :mad:

·
Registered
4,558 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea thanks...good point. I've cooled a bit but still its annoying. :x

·
Registered
43 Posts
Good call on the decibal meter, they must be at a distance of 50 or so feet and they need to tell you how many decibals your exhaust was and should be able to tell you what the legal limit is.

When I got my exhaust done, the exhaust shop gave me copy of the penal codes specifically related to performance exhaust to keep in my car in a case such as this....of course, I ended up taking it out, but will look for it and post back later if I find it. Good luck.

·
Registered
43 Posts
"The only drivers who should be cited are those whose vehicles:

1) are not equipped with a muffler;
2) clearly emit an offensive, harsh, excessive noise, or,
3) have a clearly defective exhaust system (holes, leaks, etc.)."

"The specified noise limits (80 dB(A) (decibels) for all new cars, pickup trucks, vans and motorcycles apply only to new motor vehicles, under full throttle acceleration tests, measured 50 feet from the test vehicle, as specified in Sections 1040-1044, 1046 and 1047, Title 13, California Code of Regulations (13 CCR)."

"They specifically do not apply to areas of congested traffic that require noticeable acceleration or deceleration, or within 200 feet of an official traffic control device or change in grade."

http://www.greddy.com/CHPnoisepolicies.html

Good luck to you, I hope this helps you out.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the support I am looking for a copy of the Calgary code.

·
Super Moderator
8,395 Posts
Exhaust noise tickets are pretty subjective here in CA. There really isn't any go to the CHP they test your exhaust and the exhaust is suddenly legal test. Its pretty much up to a cop whether it is too loud or not. Best thing to do is to keep an eye out for cops and let off when you see them. Gotta keep a low profile to avoid tickets. Most cops don't like imports so they'll go out of their way to give you a ticket.

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
SilverMk2 said:
Best thing to do is to keep an eye out for cops and let off when you see them. Gotta keep a low profile to avoid tickets.
Thats what I do when I see a cop. My Kitty cat holer is a bit loud above 3 RPM's :lol:

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
dohc82 said:
Thanks for the support I am looking for a copy of the Calgary code.
Contact the local police Department, and ask them to fax you a copy of the statute. The Statute number should be listed somewhere on the ticket. If they won't, call the local courthouse and they should be able to point you in the right direction.

FWIW, in the U.S., many states don't have specific db levels, but if the officer deems it to be "too loud or harsh" at a distance (most states say between 50 and 75 feet), then your pretty much screwed.

When you go to court, another good weapon you can have is to have the manufacturers paperwork on the db rating of their muffler. Most manufacturers can provide that with nothing more than a phone call, and it should have a comparison on there to similar O.E. style mufflers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts