Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Good call on the decibal meter, they must be at a distance of 50 or so feet and they need to tell you how many decibals your exhaust was and should be able to tell you what the legal limit is.

When I got my exhaust done, the exhaust shop gave me copy of the penal codes specifically related to performance exhaust to keep in my car in a case such as this....of course, I ended up taking it out, but will look for it and post back later if I find it. Good luck.

·
Registered
43 Posts
"The only drivers who should be cited are those whose vehicles:

1) are not equipped with a muffler;
2) clearly emit an offensive, harsh, excessive noise, or,
3) have a clearly defective exhaust system (holes, leaks, etc.)."

"The specified noise limits (80 dB(A) (decibels) for all new cars, pickup trucks, vans and motorcycles apply only to new motor vehicles, under full throttle acceleration tests, measured 50 feet from the test vehicle, as specified in Sections 1040-1044, 1046 and 1047, Title 13, California Code of Regulations (13 CCR)."

"They specifically do not apply to areas of congested traffic that require noticeable acceleration or deceleration, or within 200 feet of an official traffic control device or change in grade."

http://www.greddy.com/CHPnoisepolicies.html

Good luck to you, I hope this helps you out.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.