Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the info has been posted here, but it is hard to find the info and part numbers so I thought I'd make up a quick write up on how to make solid engine mounts from Energy Suspension GM trans. mounts.

Here are the pieces:

the part numbers are as follows

black polyurethane: 3-1108G

red polyurethane: 3-1108R

they are a simple bolt on affair, the only modification needed is to take an angle grinder to the bottom corners, so that they'll clear the peice they mount to.

Here is a before pic:

and after grinding (the lower corners)

compared to a stock mount:

Advantages of using solid engine mounts:

- Engine sits very slightly lower, and makes it easier to reach the back of the engine.

- More vibration will be transered into the car, but less torquing of engine mounts, which could result in better 'seeming' response. These engines, being an inline 6 are already very smooth though, so you'll notice little or no difference.

- They are much cheaper than Toyota mounts, and in stock almost everywhere, being a standard part for GM transmissions. Anywhere that sells domesetic performance or aftermarket parts should be able to get them.

- The mounts are Polyurethane with metal reinforcing inside, used to eliminate any possiblity of tearing apart, even after years of use and deterioration, so they are more durable than stock mounts.

there are more details on their website:

http://www.energysuspension.com/pages/transmt.html

edit:

here's an installed pic, courtesy of supra_devil

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Me and Dogstar previously installed these on our cars (which is how Dave found out about em) and we both like them very much. Since Dave is the man with the nice camera and all we said he should finally make a basic writeup for this great, cheap, engine mount replacement. the info has always been on CS, but has been hard to find at best.

i hope this one finds its way into the FAQ.

Good job Dave.

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
Solo1supra has these(or similar) On his car. He raves about how much nicer these are.

My only thought is will they work with the 7m?

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
turbogoo1 said:
Solo1supra has these(or similar) On his car. He raves about how much nicer these are.
I have the exact same ones, except in red. At the time, that's all the parts store had, or I would have gotten the black ones. Next to the LJM bar, this is probably one of the easiest mods I have done to the car.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ViPeR_NiPPleX said:
And why do you need to cut angles on the mounts?
As Joe said, its so they'll fit properly on the crossmember side of the mounts, since they curve up at the corners. I'd been intending to take a pic for this thread when I first posted it but I forgot, so here's one now:

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Nice write-up...Thanks...I have a poly mount in my daily driver (Mazda3) to help with some fierce wheel-hop if you start hard. Start-up can be brutal when it's cold...like starting a jet, but then it's a four banger, so hopefully the Supra won't experience quite as much.

Grant

·
Registered
15,021 Posts
hmm. might try these, though i got 2 sets of solid mounts. these would make it easier to change the tranny when i break the next one. engine wont tilt back whit hthe solid mounts. kind of a pita. otherwise they work awesome. lol.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Mike Lewitz & I installed a set of these Energy Suspension mounts in my car after having rubbing issues when I installed my Addco sway bars. The front bar would rub the back lip of the crank pulley!! :eek:

I used the 1/8" spacer plate that was included with the mounts to help lift up the motor. Everything cleared just fine; water pump fan, intake plenum, LJM front STB. No rubbing even under WOT !!

I bought them through Summit Racing (p/n 3-1108G) for a whopping $20.98 a piece!!!

Highly recommend this thread be either stickied or the information added to the FAQ!

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
AutoZone usually has these in stock. My wife bought a pair for her car, and ordered 3 more for the store to sell to prospective Supra owners.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts