Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, the other night I get in my car (3am) and it wont start. The lights are all dim, volt meter reads about 8 volts. Obviously a battery, so after sitting around for an hour or so I get a jump and it gets me home okay. It started up fine in the next day (2pm). I took it to work, and after work it was dead again (10pm). I got a jump, drove it home, and it started fine today (11am). I noticed now that when I hit the turn signals, or brakes, or flick my brights on, the voltage drops 1-2 volts. You think this is a battery not holding a charge or a dying alternator? The battery is old, but so is the alternator. Also, when I start the car I have a belt that sqeals loudly, and the voltage sits at about 8 volts or so while in squealing-mode, but once it stops it goes to normal 13-14 volts. Is this an unrelated issue, or do you think maybe I have a dead alternator bearing or something to that effect? I dont know how much a new alt. is, but at the moment I cant afford both a new alt and a new battery, so I would like to know which it is before going out and getting a new one. Sorry for the long post!

-Ken

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have pretty good experience with this cuz I had both those problems; bad alternator and squeeling belt (but not at the same time)

The belt is squeeling cuz its slipping off the pulley ie. its not tight enuff. When u start up the motor, the belt can't keep up with the fast rotation of the motor so it slips and squeels.

If your belt is slipping then that means your alt. isn't turning as much as it should be, therefore its not doing its job of charging.

I would suggest checking the belt tension (should not be more than 0.5 cm in either direction, i think) and adjust if necessary, then check ur voltage.

Good luck,

-Hosam

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Your 82 should have the double V-belts that drive the alternator and the water pump. Check the condition of those belts and replace them if they're in bad shape. Otherwise, try tightening the loose belts, check the water level in the battery, and clean the battery terminals and see what happens. Some garages can check your charging system for a small fee and let you know what's going on. If both the battery and alternator check out OK then there may be something that's draining the battery while the car sits, ie: dome light or other lamp staying on, etc..

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Its also possible that you could have an intermittent short somewhere. First reaction tho would be to agree with Dave A... and if that doesn't show anything, then look for a short.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I tightened the belt, it was a little loose, and I put some belt dressing on, Ill let you know how it goes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts