Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Long time no talk... for those of you who don't know me, I had an '84 L-type from 1998 - 2005 (sold to Ken M).

I wasn't looking to get another MKII, however I found a guy near my parents who has an '85 P-type for sale. Completely stock, 5-speed, gray, 71000 miles. (yes, you read that right)

The good:
-No Rust. I'm not kidding when I say that. None whatsoever that I could find on the car. Hatch looks absolutely fantastic. None in the spare tire well. None in the quarterpanel interiors. It is a garage queen.
-It's a one-owner car. The guy bought it new in '86 (dealer overstock from '85) and has had it since.
-Tires appear to be in good shape (at least for daily driver).
-No major accidents reported.
-According to Toyota service sticker on the car, timing belt was replaced in 1994 at 54k.

The bad:
-There is damage to the left rear quarter panel where he backed into another vehicle at low speed. Broke the LR fiberglass part, but he is providing a brand-new Toyota one (primered) with the vehicle.
-Probably needs a clutch
-A/C is shot, probably compressor
-Power steering leaks, most likely at the pump. It sprays all over the engine compartment and underbody and has gotten on the exhaust manifold as well.
-Some kind of oil leak that causes oil to pool in the top of the head between #3 and #4 plugs. Could be valve cover gaskets, could also be a bad head.
-Valve lifter tap in the #5 or #6 cylinder, intake side.
-Needs a brake job (that's easy)
-May need a new sunroof motor soon

Before I offer anything, a few questions for y'all:
-Parts.... I'm looking at this car as a potential autocrosser. I've been way out of the loop for too long, what aftermarket suspension, wheels/tires//etc are available at this time?
-What is group consensus on a reasonable price, with the necessary work listed above (in particular, clutch and PS leak)? 2000? 3000? 4000?

See pictures at:
http://picasaweb.google.com/ryan.etzel/PotentialSupra#

Can anyone run a CARFAX for me on this car?

Gracias,
--etzel

·
Registered
727 Posts
That car would make for an easy restoration to bone stock...and once done should be worth in the $5000 or $6000 range, only to appreciate from there.

Why trash it autocrossing it?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That car would make for an easy restoration to bone stock...and once done should be worth in the $5000 or $6000 range, only to appreciate from there.

Why trash it autocrossing it?
I haven't decided what I'm going to do with the car yet, if I get it... autocross is just an idea at this time. I already have a daily driver Subaru (need AWD in PA).

Right now I'm trying to get a general feel of what this car's worth.

·
Founding Member
6,525 Posts
Autocross doesn't necessarily trash the car, but Supra is not really competitive for autocross anyway as its 25 years older than some other cars in the same class and there's near zero aftermarket support and what little there is is hard to find in stock right when you want it. Car looks like excellent potential for a classic to be left stock and enjoy it as is. Everything you've found is an easy fix, but there is a lot to fix. I wouldn't feel too bad paying $3500 as I think I could fix everything myself that you've listed for $1,500 and I agree with Bill's value, but I'd probably start with a little lower offer and see if they'll bite.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts