Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did some searching and it seems like whiskers are still available from very limited sources and about $60 each. No reproductions or aftermarket replacements. Is this right or did I miss something?

Metal quarter window trim - not terribly available and also a problem if the subject car is missing or has bad trim.

bodyside molding and rocker trim - bodyside molding available but with adhesive instead of clips. Rocker moldings less available. Everything expensive.

Trying to get an assessment of cost and ease of repair while looking at 84-85 model years.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
All these parts can be found used and for a reasonable price. Pm me or anyone doing a part out. Check the yards, Ebay.
Metal trim is often repainted after the plastic laminate falls off.
I presently only have a set of belt molding available but plan on checking out some yards, soon.

Reactions: ddd228

·
Registered
837 Posts
I know their are a few people here selling some whiskers. They are going for about $40-50. Also check the sticky under the vendor section, Mark has a entire list of what is not made by Toyota any more.

·
Founding Member
6,522 Posts
You have recognized our dilemma. No reproduction parts, No NOS parts for key cosmetic items. Being in one of the southern states makes it even more difficult to find used, plastic, vinyl and rubber in good shape. These parts tend to fare better in northern climates and cloudier parts of the world. Cost is not the issue, just finding the parts is. Check with members here or mabe phone some salvage yards up north. But I still contend that if you haven't already bought a Supra, you would be far, far, far ahead to pay over $10 grand for a mk2 that doesn't need anything than to try to restore one.

Reactions: 1982 Dragon

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
But I still contend that if you haven't already bought a Supra, you would be far, far, far ahead to pay over $10 grand for a mk2 that doesn't need anything than to try to restore one.
I agree with this. Buy the best you can find/afford. I'm just trying to get a grip on what it means if I find a nice one that has some flaws - is it annoying ($100 for whiskers) or frustrating (parts made from unobtanium).

For example, I posted a while back about a very nice car that I saw. It was in superb 9.0 - 9.3 condition. Paint glossy, zero rust, graphics perfect, new correct size tires, etc. The whiskers were junk. The car was an automatic so I wasn't interested, but I stood there looking at it and didn't know how big a problem that was.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Unobtanium, lol...I'm currently working underground on aftermarket CF replacements, cross your fingers.

·
Founding Member
6,522 Posts
If its only a matter of whiskers, then I wouldn't let that deter too much. Everyone here knows to grab any good whiskers and other trim they spot in a salvage yard so they do come up from time to time. Its more a matter of patience than anything. I've resurrected some basketcases with help from people on this forum, but its getting harder and harder as the years go by and the parts get more scarce. I'd go back and get that auto. It'd be easier to convert it to manual than to restore another supra and bring it up even from an 8 to a 9. Transmissions and clutch pedals are unaffected by the sun and rebuildable even if they're used up. A new shift boot can be sewn and an acceptable aftermarket shift knob can be screwed on. Unless you're determined to keep one all original, then I guess its keep looking.

Reactions: 1982 Dragon

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
I did some searching and it seems like whiskers are still available from very limited sources and about $60 each. No reproductions or aftermarket replacements. Is this right or did I miss something?

Metal quarter window trim - not terribly available and also a problem if the subject car is missing or has bad trim.

bodyside molding and rocker trim - bodyside molding available but with adhesive instead of clips. Rocker moldings less available. Everything expensive.

Trying to get an assessment of cost and ease of repair while looking at 84-85 model years.
I searched for rocker panels for a long time. It seems they are nearly all rusted out. I finally duplicated mine on a table saw with IPE wood. I am quite happy with the result. IPE was used for Atlantic City board walks and lasted 25 years. It is very dense hard wood and I don't think it will rust out. I did get a quote for fiber glass Rockers for $2000 but I think my solution is as good or better and much cheatper.

·
Super Moderator
8,564 Posts
I don't know putting something that retains water (wood) next to something that likes to rust (rocker panel) seems like a bad idea...

·
Premium Member
6,152 Posts
Underground sources.
I'm ...IN! Some grey area of unobtainium? OK, who has a smuggling operation?
I can trade class 3 narcotics for Supra trim.

Well, that is a bit too much, Dave.
Retraction soon.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts