Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone powdercoated their wiper arms? I painted mine a year ago and even though I thought I was prepping properly and using good paint, it's started to flake off.

I was thinking maybe the arms and cowl strip would be a good combination for powdercoating. Have no idea what it would cost to do this locally, but is this a bad idea?

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Steve-O,

It will work for the cowl panel (I just had one done, but haven't installed it yet), but the wiper arms might get a little tricky. If there is enough clearance between the arm joints than I'm sure it would work. Powdercoat finishes are always 'high mil' finishes...meaning that they are thick.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Steve-O,

It will work for the cowl panel (I just had one done, but haven't installed it yet), but the wiper arms might get a little tricky. If there is enough clearance between the arm joints than I'm sure it would work. Powdercoat finishes are always 'high mil' finishes...meaning that they are thick.
Worked on my wiper arms Mark. Who'd you have do your powdercoating?

·
Registered
438 Posts
I painted the cowl strip and have had no trouble. The wipers seem to be trickier.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
The problem you guys are having with the wipers, is straight paint over metal. If you want to paint them, and have your paint stick you need to:
Sand them down to the metal.
Go to local auto paint store and buy metal etch primer.
Spray two or three coats on your wipers and let dry.
Then paint them with a high quality spray, or go talk to a painter at a body shop and see if he'll paint them in with the next load of black cars.
Then, your paint will stick, but, still won't be as durable as powdercoating, which I personally recommend.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Use quality paint. That is very important. I did body work for a few years so I know how to do it proper. Years ago, I painted a spoiler with spray can. It turned out very nice. But after a year, it started to flake. The clear coat turn yellow. So I learned, you get what you pay for. Good thing it was a piece of shit Nissan anyways.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Has anyone powdercoated their wiper arms? I painted mine a year ago and even though I thought I was prepping properly and using good paint, it's started to flake off.

I was thinking maybe the arms and cowl strip would be a good combination for powdercoating. Have no idea what it would cost to do this locally, but is this a bad idea?
How did you prep them? (wipers) - cowl yes - wiper arms not sure.

...the wiper arms might get a little tricky. If there is enough clearance between the arm joints than I'm sure it would work. Powdercoat finishes are always 'high mil' finishes...meaning that they are thick.
Agree - isn't there a spring in back? - wouldn't this be tricky with powdercoat? Possibly mask it?

The problem you guys are having with the wipers, is straight paint over metal. If you want to paint them, and have your paint stick you need to:
Sand them down to the metal.
Go to local auto paint store and buy metal etch primer.
Spray two or three coats on your wipers and let dry.
Agree- etch required

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Prep - laquer thinner or liquid sandpaper (forget which)

Dupli-Color Prep Spray
Krylon Rust Tough Enamel - Semi-Flat Black

That's what I used.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts