Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently found a junkyard MKIII with a 7m-ge, and I was thinkingabout putting it in my 85. where can i find the power specs on the 7m-ge and about how much should i offer for it?

·
Registered
129 Posts
well the 7mge has 200 hp, but im not sure about the torqu numbers. how much you offer really depends on condition, miles, etc. but if its in pretty decent shape and not too many miles, id say $400 or so.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I also was wondering kind of along the same lines. My 5mge has about 145k on it now, and theres a few things starting to go. Instead of sinking money into it little by little, and still having a slower car, I wonder where it would be economical to get the 7m. Also, how much more would a gTe be/how much harder to find then just the ge? Would it be worth getting the non-turbo motor? I have sort of "limited funds", you know?

·
Super Moderator
8,369 Posts
I would just go with a 6M. Price is about the same from importer, easy to install, looks stock, makes almost the same power, + no HG problems.

·
Registered
129 Posts
yea definitely go witht he 6M, more power than the 5M and like silver mk2 said, looks stock and runs just as good. :D

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Jeff Sawyer is running a 7M-GE in his... I would talk to him before doing this swap.

Its essentially the same amount of work as the 7M-GTE swap...for less power..

·
Super Moderator
10,546 Posts
well much easier then a 7m as they'res no intercooler to mount or intake plumbing to make or mod, but wiring wise its about the same. Might be worth it if a gte is just outside your price range (as the plumbing and intial purchase price would be cheaper) but no comparison to the ease of a 6m swap. Freshening up a 7m is alot more work then with a 5/6m as well due to the extra 12 valves. Torque is about 190 on the the 7mge. A nice engine to have in a mk2 (theres a guy in town with one) but its hard to justify next to a 6m.

·
Super Moderator
10,546 Posts
japanese specs say 190hp, 200lbs/ft. But thats with a japanes ecu, the stock 6m intake manifold and their fuel (which shouldn't make that much difference). And assuming the engine has been completely refreshened and rebuilt. If it doesn't have perfect 180psi in every cylinder it will be alot less power to the wheels. Typical jdm 6ms installed here make between 140 to 160 rwhp depending on condition and installation options. Healthy 84+ 5ms around 138 to 145

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Too much work for too little gain

I've got the 7MGE and it's fun. It won the highest horespower NA at Vegas but that's kinda cheating since it's a 7M not a 5M. I'd recommend getting the 7MGTE to anyone considering it. If you can't afford that, go with the 6M. If the 7M is free, then sure what the hell...

The 7MGTE is more work because the electronics have to change (yes, I'm running 5M electrics) with the 185 injectors. The intercoller etc also make it more complex installing it. I also did the metal head gasket and ARP bolts. I'd recommend this to anyone with the 7M series engines.

It all depends on how much money you want to throw at it and how much time you have to do it. In any case, make sure you've got a daily driver while you're playing around with it...

·
Registered
191 Posts
i have a 85 w/ 5m-ge, somr quetsns, So all the ?m-ge motors can all be swaped easily,ie same sensor plugins bolts nicly to trans..Why does the 7m seem to be more of a prob then the 6m?? looking and woundering..
thanx

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Yes and no......

The tranny and other "hardware" bolt on's can more or less be easily done.

Electrical stuff is NOT plug & play, including connectors. And some items are in different locations... Alternator on a 7MGE I believe is on the upper left side of the motor?? (on a 7M-GTE, it is). Distributor is on the right side of the motor.... 7MGTE does not have a distributor, it uses coil packs.

In anycase you still have to do a different motor wiring harness when you go 7MGE from a 5M.

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
YES!!!!

6M is much less of a headache then a 7M. Change seals, swap oil pan & pickup. Reuse 5M A/C compressor & the intake plenium (6M does not have EGR hookups because it does not have a EGR valve, but if you live in a Non Emissions inspection area, then you can probably use the 6M plenium).

There are a few more other items that need to be done that I may have missed. Time to use that search function!!!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Where is the best place to get my hands on or look for a 6m? And what should I expect to pay for one in good shape?
I can't afford it at the moment, but soon i hope.

·
Premium Member
5,568 Posts
deja vu

1 - 17 of 17 Posts