Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My antenna isn't working, I can hear the gears turning but couldn't raise it up. I took it out and disasembled but can't see anything wrong. It will now retract but not engage. Is it shot, or is there a way to repair it? Are replacements other than OEM available? ( I asume Toyota will want a quart of blood like they do for all other parts)

Thanks: 85 P type (GST) 89k (54000 original miles) - ported, decked, all new valvetrain including cams, header, intake, 2.5 through a two pipe magnaflow.

·
Registered
151 Posts
well there is too thing you can check if it is still worth the trouble... take out the ring that holds the antenna, after that turn on the ignition so that it is raising the antenna and pull out the antenna assy and if it has a broken gear string(not sure of the name) but it is the string that has edges on it(whie string) attached to the antenna to make it go down and up... if it is broken you ahve to get a whole new unit if not... just go to the dealer and get another antenna assy... and to what you have said that the motor is running... it is still good unless unless the string not broken more the antenna assy

·
Super Moderator
8,395 Posts
More than likely either the white plastic drive cable broke or the mast is "stuck" in the tube/housing part. If the cable is broke you can buy the spool and the mast seperately from Toyota. I think they are about $40 combined. If the mast is stuck more than likely it will get destroyed taking it out so you'll have to buy the above parts anyway. I believe the antenna are about $130 discounted for the whole assembly. I would take the cadium plated cover off ( 3 or 4 screws and a small nut), and take a look inside.

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
When you say it won't engage, does it mean that it won't go up???

When you turn on the radio, what's happening??? Does the motor work, or all you are hearing is a "click"????

If all you are hearing is a "click", then the (what is that thing called again) has crapped out... It's the blue square box that is on top of the antenna assembly. This may need to be replaced.

Others???? Damit, I can't think of the name of the blue box.. :mad:

·
Registered
991 Posts
CJSREDPRA said:
If all you are hearing is a "click", then the (what is that thing called again) has crapped out... It's the blue square box that is on top of the antenna assembly. This may need to be replaced.

Others???? Damit, I can't think of the name of the blue box.. :mad:
Chris,

That is the antenna relay assembly. A click does not necessarily mean that it needs to be replaced. Mine was doing that as well until Jeff Sawyer straightened out the wiring mess on the new stereo. Now it works just fine. The idiot that did the install had the antenna up and the antenna down wires jumpered together. The antenna couldn't figure out what it was supposed to be doing.

Leslie

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help. I've taken it apart and evrything seems OK. The connection through the radio is fine although it goes up and down with the CD. When I say I hear the motor I hear it run through the cycle - that is it hums along as it the antenna was going up but it's not. I'll try taking everything apart again and cleaning it and luricating to see if it works.

Thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
10,546 Posts
ah yes the infamous power antenna. The first thing I remove when I get a new mk2. Of the 4 mk2s I've bought, only one came with a working power antenna, and the thing had stopped working a total of 6 times in the cars life (I have the complete history on that car), replaced 3 times, rebuilt 3 times.

·
Registered
188 Posts
am i the only idiot who cant get the antenna out of the car?

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
If if is extended, it's impossible to remove.
You have 2 choices:
1: break the mast (not a good idea)
2: remove the rear window fluid reservoir for access, then, with the motor/antenna assembly unmounted, disassemble the drum cover in place, and turn the drum to wind the mast down. Voilà!

·
Registered
4 Posts
There's an excellent writeup for a replacement using a Metra Road Works AW-PW12 universal power antenna here: http://www.tscperformance.com/supra/Antenna/antenna.htm. I did this procedure myself, and it worked great. I only blew 3 fuses when the switched and the constant 12 V met.

1 problem down, 15 to go...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts