Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much power can the AOD handle?? I am rebuilding the 5M with a an extrude honed head, GUDE cams, ss valves, Greddy mkIII turbo kit, ect. I have no clue what kind of numbers that will produce (idea anyone??), but the thought occured to me that the AOD tranny might not be able to handle it. Can it be built to take it? If not, what tranny can be put in that can?? I would love a good excuse to do a manual conversion.

Thanks,
Christopher

·
Founding Member
6,423 Posts
I was concerned about this as well. I researched as much as I could find but there really isn't much in the way of aftermarket parts to beef up the automagic. Level 10 claims they can install some heavier duty clutch paks and tweak the valve body for harder shifts, but they wanted in the neighborhood of $2800 to do so vs. a standard rebuild would only run about $800 to $900. I've been making probably in the neighborhood of 250 at the crank with no problems on the A43DE. I've talked to a number of tranny shops who quessed it could probably hold up to 300 based on the fact that the same tranny (its really a common borg warner design licensed to Aisin) is used in much heavier vehicles such as Mitsubishi Montero 2wd and Volvo 940 wagon up thru 1994. If you call around, you might find somebody local to tweak the valve body as the principles are common to other trannys. But the real guts I couldn't find anything but standard parts. I put in an auxiliary tranny cooler and run redline fluid just to give it the best chance for survival. If and when it craps out, its probably going to get a w58 at that point. If you find more info than I did, please post cause I really like my automagic with the turbo.

Phil D.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Phil, I don't think that it will be putting out more than 250-300hp. I will look into this a bit more and will post if I get any new info.

Thanks
Christopher

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Kinda funny here.I have been talking to Mike,who is on this list,and works for a trans parts wholesaler :) he says the clutch hubs in later v-6 trucks and such,hold 5 pacs instead of 2.I have a core Cressida trans,now to get a core 4x4 or lexus tranny,see if I can adapt the parts.I'll let you all know if/when I get a core to tear into :wink:

·
Super Moderator
8,395 Posts
What about swapping in a Mk3 auto trans? Should bolt right in the Supra auto trans are all pretty similar size wise from what I understand. I'm not sure if the MkII auto electronics could run a MkIII auto trans or how hard it would be to switch over the MkIII electronics. I've heard you can even use the MkIV auto tranny guts in the MkIII tranny case as well. If you went through all that trouble you should be able to at least 400rwhp somewhat reliably. I forget where that website was at where they went step by step with this. Too bad someone doesn't make a bellhousing to use a 4L80E or T400 trans.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
there are bellhousings avaliable for a th400 IIRC, but its some aussie shop, and theyre not terribly cheap.

ill try and find the addy for their site.

think its www.rodshop.com.au but i might be wrong.

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Aaron I,

The MKIII & MKIV Auto's (does not matter if it's a Turbo or not), both use the A340E Automagic. Not sure if it will work w/ the A43DE Automagic tranny ECU or not. Some peeps have said that the Turbo A340E has been beefed up a bit, to deal w/ the slight power increase, but this is hearsay from what I've heard on the SOGI list several years back. Don't know much about the A340E's that are in the MKIV's at the moment.

·
Premium Member
6,116 Posts
Heres what I can be sure of- 1. A340 is physically larger-tunnel fit/crossmember location/shifter could all be problems-Cant adapt shifter like on 5 spds. 2. A340 is torque rated for larger motors from day 1-A43 series is torque rated for 4Cyl from day 1, and then upgraded as power levels increased. 3. A careful reading of applications would show that after 1986, anything more than 4 CYL (IN A TOYOTA) used A340-Example-4cyl Previa-A43D-4Cyl Supercharged Previa-A340, Etc. 4. Toyota has several versions of 340 series and Lexus/Toy P/U Have clutch packs w/more frictions-Hence more apply surface- IMO Anything over 200+- RWHP is begging for trouble with an A43-But, like so much else about our cars, I dont have enough DATA- Not a whole lot of A43s running around w/350 V8s and 7MGTEs-And Ive Noticed that the drag cars Have GM Powerglides!!!! Hey Shawn P-Your Cressida can be the test monkey for the old school A43 guys! :twisted: Put this one in the 5MGTE vs 7MGTE File!!!-Mike P

·
Premium Member
6,116 Posts
Tranny info

Hey Sean-Heres some Codes-A341E-90-97 LEXUS V8 Cars-93-98 Supra Turbo-A343E-Lexus V8 SUV-A340F Toyota 4x4 Vehicles-AVOID A340H-Has a Married Transfer case-Hope this helps your core search-MIke P :sleeping: :morning:

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
The Cressida is an 88 and has an a340e.I have a core in the garage,tag say mod#30-40LE from an 86 or 87 Cressida,I forget :roll:

Now,my Supra is an 83,it might end up the test bed for the auto,if I don't sell it first.Figure I'll drive it thru summer "at least until after Baxter's",then decide.

·
Premium Member
6,116 Posts
Usually, tranny codes like that come from Jeep Cherokees-One of the vehicles Aisin Warner sold Complete trannies for(Volvo, Mitsu, Isuzu, Jeep)-they sold these"over the counter" to other manufacturers-To my knowledge, none of these vehicles had toyoyas own internal updates-Brings up a good point-In toyota vehicles the A340 has the best vehicle to breakdown ratio in the industry-In other makes, the A340 is just better than average-Some people see malicious intent in this-IMO toyota just kept the right stuff inhouse-for your project, a Cherokee tranny is the same duty rating as any other late 80s A340-Mike P

1 - 11 of 11 Posts