Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so how many people from here were effected from that major power outage from canada all the way down to ohio to ny and all over that are was their anyone that actually had power??? i know i didn't and it really sucked lol. i had to move ice like crazy at work and had lots of people complainging and yelling at me about not being able to get gas lol. i told them here's a hose use your lips now suck lol. they got offended lol well lets here how many people from this forum where effected just curious to see.

Dan

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
luckily i beleive that columbus is on a different grid or something, i know cleveland, toledo, akron canton all up north in ohio was without power, but they're saying it happened from a problem with the grid near niagra falls, if one problem can cause a 5 state problem then they need to get something worked out cuz thats not good......if i worked in new york city and had to walk home, i'd be callin off tomorrow. I feel sorry for all the pets locked at home with no a/c...poor guys. I hope everyone is ok and no one gets too crazy tonight.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Actually, I'm glad I decided recently not to go to the Canadian Meet this weekend in Toronto (7 hour drive for me, and my AC still isn't fixed). I bet lots of folks will CANX, sort of too bad. This will likely greatly affect the Meet, but until they get power, they can't do anything.

For a map of the Canadian-American Grid System, see http://www.westgov.org/wieb/power/napower_grid.htm

Being familiar with big power systems, I recognize that much of what I've heard on TV this evening is BS. Fingers pointing based on no knowledge, and even worse, stupid statements from folks with no knowledge, such as "it is a third world electric system" - right, a gas powered generator down the street with voltage drops down to about 90V-AC (actually 180V-AC in most of the world) by the end of the line, and power turned-off by 10 PM. TOO much hype.

BTW, it takes at least 1 hour to reset tripped breakers/switches from a power plant (and power shunts). They get real hot! And those 7-9 nuclear power plants that shut down will take a day to get back on-line (coal plants about half that, NG much swifter assuming they didn't overspeed when the equivalent of the clutch popping in unexpectedly at max RPM happened).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts