Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

On wheel stands, my front wheels turn nicely. On the ground they groan, moan and fight like a monster. I plugged a whole in the P/S Pump that was leaking. No more leaks and rest of under car "looks' OK. I'm guessing that the pump isn't working - but could it be something else?

Reason I need to know is that I'm switching to 1JZGTE in the next month or so, and don't want to spend big bucks repairing a 5ME that is about to get tossed. That is, if it is steering stuff, I'll get it fixed ASAP. If P/S pump, etc., I'll hold-out for the 1JZGTE's pump.

Any advice most welcome!

Cheers,

Justin
JZA-61 in the works ...

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
well if there was a leak and you plugged it and refilled the tank, there is probably still some air in the system and it can take a few minutes of turning the wheel back and forth, back and forth, while stopping and checking the level, if it doesn't go away for awhile then it may be the pump. hope that helps....

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers,
I tried the Haynes Manual "Bleeding the Systsem" technique: turn wheel left, turn wheel right, turn wheel left, turn wheel, etc. Some airbibbles weree visible and the oil looked to be moving. Damn! Anyone know where I can rent a P/S pump for a few weeks? :)

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, nearly forgot the really scarey bit: on a short drive to reverse the car out of drive and put back in - I got an evil smell and smoke from the left-hand bottom of engine-bay (which was abscent when free spinning wheels on stands). FTF???? THAT sounds a bit more serious than just the pump not pumping - doesn't it?

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Could be a VERY small hole in a PS line that only leaks when you put a lot of pressure (i.e. turn your wheels whilst standing still) squriting PS fluid on your exhaust mani. I had this happen and still haven't fixed it, but I did block the hole with a piece of heater hose I cut and slid over it, then clamped it on.

HTH
Nick

·
Registered
382 Posts
I had the same sort of groaning with my powersteering pump, but there were no holes in it or its lines. I just replaced by tie rods and tie rod ends, and the moaning went away. My tie rods were fused to the main shaft and I guess that they were putting too much of a strain on the pump. This may not be your problem, but this is just what happened to me.

·
Registered
177 Posts
On my 1984 ptype there is a screen in the bottom of the tank on the pump. My car developed the same type groaning noise, when I looked in the tank with the motor running there was little fluid movement even as wheels turned. I took the tank off to investigate and found the screen was about 80% blocked. I flushed it in parts cleaner, and blew it dry, reinstalled, steering back to as new feel

·
Registered
2 Posts
FWDsux said:
Could be a VERY small hole in a PS line that only leaks when you put a lot of pressure (i.e. turn your wheels whilst standing still) squriting PS fluid on your exhaust mani. I had this happen and still haven't fixed it, but I did block the hole with a piece of heater hose I cut and slid over it, then clamped it on.

HTH
Nick
i had the same problem a couple of weeks ago. i had a custom steelbraided pressure line made. no more smoke screen! :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts