Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can the w58 repeatedly withstand the torque from powershifting? Does anyone do it on a regular basis? I know trannies will blow when powershifted with a v8 too often...but the 22re in my truck hasn't hurt its w56 yet, and that's a torquey little motor (nothing compared to a v8, but still).

My friend just bought an 82 5.0 mustang (t-tops, no less), and I'm still paying off my new 85 mkII...there's been a lot of benchracing type discussion about the two cars so far, and I know the competition will be there once we get them both on the road. I'm curious as to how hard I can push my supra (even though I don't really want to, I've already fallen in love with it, and won't beat on it like I do in my truck).

I suppose I may not even bother powershifting, even viewing the edge it might give me, as I know he won't. The 180k miles on the tranny warrants a bit of extra care...

A driveline unrelated question though: has anyone driven an early 157 hp rated 5.0 before? You know that really HARD pull it exhibits, the reason a headrest is required? I'd kinda like to know if my supra will do that...I haven't driven it yet as I bought it without a clutch. I figure it's just the monstrous torque rating the v8 provides, but maybe...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Yeah, I'm in love with the 5.0's torque band, I'm putting one in my '87 toy pickup in the meantime of my prerunner project.

I'm thinking the 5.0 will win a drag race, despite the similar quarter mile time our cars have...you just have to drive in one to understand the power of that v8. That torque spec is no joke..the car will scare the living s*** out of you..

Also: does anyone have the torque spec for an r154? I can find the w58's, but the only tables that list the r154 just imply that it's unlimited. If that was true, I'd swap one in to a v8 conversion rather than the Tremec I'm planning on...I find it hard to believe though.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
the early 80s 5.0s are slow... nuf said

if you disbelive... well, i smoked an 84-85 5.0 two nights ago.
story is in kill section.

so far i drive my car pretty hard... its a sports car, and it should be built to handle it, and from everything ive heard, the w58 can handle 300 horsepower without selfdestructing, 160 horsepower shouldnt even cause a worry.

bring the rpms up to about 4500 and just dump the clutch, if you want to see how well your car takes off... but do it at your own risk, im not responsible if you fuxor something up and manage to burn a clutch.

my advice is to find an empty field or deserted road and drive the car hard.... learn your limits, so if a problem happens when your on a public road you will know if you have enough power to get outa a problem, or if you can stop fast enough to avoid an accident or whether you need to steer outa it.

·
Registered
306 Posts
dogstar said:
the early 80s 5.0s are slow... nuf said

if you disbelive... well, i smoked an 84-85 5.0 two nights ago.
story is in kill section.

so far i drive my car pretty hard... its a sports car, and it should be built to handle it, and from everything ive heard, the w58 can handle 300 horsepower without selfdestructing, 160 horsepower shouldnt even cause a worry.

bring the rpms up to about 4500 and just dump the clutch, if you want to see how well your car takes off... but do it at your own risk, im not responsible if you fuxor something up and manage to burn a clutch.

my advice is to find an empty field or deserted road and drive the car hard.... learn your limits, so if a problem happens when your on a public road you will know if you have enough power to get outa a problem, or if you can stop fast enough to avoid an accident or whether you need to steer outa it.

So one kill means they are all slow? less then 1000$ in mods and they are running 13's or 12's without a hitch.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
no, one kill doesnt mean theyre all slow... i understood him to be talking about a stock example, and every single one of them that ive ever encountered of them (about 15 or so cars), is slow, so therefore, i made my statement.

yeah, they can be fast, with some work, hell, my friends 84 is in reach of 12s with parts from the junkyard, i think it cost 1400, including the cost of the car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts