Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I snapped a couple of pics of the Power Brute LSD for those of you that are curious here;

http://www.pbase.com/silvermk2/inbox

I ordered mine from Reider Racing for $550 + shipping. I'll probably take it up this Friday to get the rear end rebuilt. Talking to the Reider Racing guys they say without a doubt its stronger than a Truetrac. I sure hope my sub 18 second MkII won't break it :D . I don't think I'll be able to use the factory diff side bearing sizes on this like the Truetrac. Journal diameter is 50mm, I guess the MkII ones are 45mm. Darn thing weighs a ton as well. Probably will cost me 5 rwhp :( .

I took my factory diff out and it looks like one of the springs on the factory LSD is broken. I can't see much more than that with it assembled. Quite a bit of metal shavings came out as well, especially considering it hasn't be in there more than 500miles on it since install.

·
Super Moderator
8,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What do you want measurements of?

·
Registered
15,035 Posts
well, just so you know the spider gears in the power brute are not forged, and every diff i broke it was the spider gears that let go. it should work fine on your mkii, but till you start running 12's or lower you wont be able to really test it out. i need to get an mkii to put the 7mgte from my 84 in so i can put the true trac in and go for 11's.
william

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
SilverMk2 said:
What do you want measurements of?
End-to-end, bearing mount diameter, case width (minus the bearing stubs).

When I contacted them, they mentioned the spider gears were not forged.

They could not specify the alloy content, so it's difficult to evaluate the strength.

Cast alloys do have the benefit of being a bit more impact resistant (they are soft), but will "exploded".

Forged is much stronger, though it does have a snap point.

·
Super Moderator
8,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In case anyone is curious here is what it looks like installed;

http://www.pbase.com/image/18331930/large

Sorry Jim I didn't get the measurements, but the bearing journals were indeed 50mm (same as the TrueTrac). All the sizes were pretty much identical to the stock unit Sean at River City Diffs installed it for ~185 (labor and the 2 side bearings). I'd say the total cost on this diff rebuild was ~$950 or so ($50 rearend + 550 diff + 150 rebuild parts + 185 for install + taxes, shipping, etc). Hopefully I'll get it installed this weekend and give an impression. Its been pretty darn hot around here lately. I'm not looking forward to this part.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Schweeet!

It's abundantly clear that angular trajecectory is important when
re-installing.

Mine was done on a lift with a transmission jack.

First attempt didn't.

A bit slower 2nd time and getting two diaganol bolts in the top really helped. Then it was like butter...

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Sexy :humpleg:

That's a great choice; wish I would've held out and bought one instead of the True-trac.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I understand that this thing should be stronger than a Truetrac if it was designed for strength, but how weak can the Truetrac be? Has anyone ever broken one?

·
Registered
15,035 Posts
not yet, but i havent been able to launch with one yet. as soon as i get another mkii to put my 7mgte and true trac in ill take it to the track and hopefully nothing breaks.
william

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
So is this Power Brute LSD obtainable, and if so, is it worth investing in?

·
Registered
828 Posts
After reading up about SilverMk2's install, I personally installed one as well , so far to date no issues and I think I've abused it pretty well with the driving I do and the events I attend. The rear tires take the most of the beating. I believe I installed the Power Brute into my pumpkin in 2009? Since then I've put at least 40-50k miles on it. Driven to and from and participated in drift events and lapping days as well as daily driving for at least two years straight, mind you it's also paired with a 7MGTE. It's a 2-way clutch type and it really does lock up on both decel and accel from my experience which is always a fun to play with. Here's a short vid to show what it's capable of but not limited to. It's also the main reason I installed the clutch type verses the torsen tru-trac. Before the install, one tire fire was always an issue and the car wasn't quite as predictable given the worn out oem LSD. (My supra is well over 300k miles). Now you have to ask yourself one question... What exactly do I want out of my Supra and do I feel lucky?

http://youtu.be/tGXdYkUZ8s0

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I personally have one installed as well after reading up bout SilverMk2's install, so far to date no issues and I think I've abused it pretty well with the driving I do and the events I attend. The rear tires take the most of the beating. I believe I installed the Power Brute into my pumpkin in 2009? Since then I've put at least 40-50k miles on it. Driven to and from and participated in drift events and lapping days as well as daily driving for at least two years straight, mind you it's also paired with a 7MGTE. It's a 2-way clutch type and it really does lock up on both decel and accel from my experience which is always a fun to play with. Here's a short vid to show what it's capable of but not limited to. It's also the main reason I installed the clutch type verses the torsen tru-trac. Before the install, one tire fire was always an issue and the car wasn't quite as predictable given the worn out oem LSD. (My supra is well over 300k miles). Now you have to ask yourself one question... What exactly do I want out of my Supra and do I feel lucky?

http://youtu.be/tGXdYkUZ8s0
Thanks for the review. I'm on my 3rd stock diff right now (and I don't even abuse it much), and it's about toast, so I'll soon be searching for another. Looking into getting something that will hold up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts