Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i was just wondering...im getting ready to paint my car....im going with black...and well my front bumper has some wear and the paint is cracking...and well...i was just wonder how i would go about prepairing my front bumped to be painted....thanks a lot ahead of time guys.... :D

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
i think most people have suggested its better to find a nice, good condition bumper cover, than to try and fix a cracked one, but i cant remember where i read that.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the bumper itself isnt cracked...just the paint on the bumper...

·
Registered
417 Posts
Here you go. Read all about it. Repainting those bumper isn't as easy as you think. But if it doesn't need repaired. Then follow the procedures of this product. I know most of the major bodyshops. Use this to prep the bumber before painting them. If you don't it's a waste of time. Because the paint will not stick properly.

·
Founding Member
6,424 Posts
Dynamic, please repost. It sound like there was supposed to be a URL included but I did not see it in my browser.

My suggestion would be to carefully sand the bumper paying particular attention to taking the paint off any of the cracked/chipped sections. Adhesion is the main thing you want to achieve and you can't expect to have very good adhesion of the original underlying coats in areas where the plastic has been stressed. I don't know about using paint strippers on plastic but perhaps someone more knowledgeable can post if its feasible. Yes, there is an adhesion promoter or special primer that is sprayed onto bare plastic bumpers before painting and any areas sanded back to bare plastic will need that. Some topcoats are also mixed an additive to increase flexibility but I believe that modern quality urethanes like PPG are considered to be adequately flexible without.

Phil D.

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Is the bumper paint the original, or a repaint????

If a repaint, I'm betting the guys who did the repaint did not add a flex agent to the paint. This is something that you will need to do, when you repaint the bumper. Otherwise, the first time someone rear end's your bumper, or you back up into a wall, you'll have cracked paint again!!!!!

·
Registered
164 Posts
my supra's bumper has areas where looks and feels like sandpaper, how can i prep this to get painted ? ??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts