Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used the Prestone Extended Life Orange Coolant? It says its good for 5 years/150,000 miles. I havent changed my normal green fluid in probably 6 years and it still looks brand new. Never gets hot. Should I just stick with the normal green stuff?

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
the green stuff is fine, but please change your fluid every 24 months.....it may look fine, but as the age grows so does the acidity level of the coolant and though it looks fine, it will start eating away the aluminum in your engine...if you wanna know whats best is toyota genuine red coolant, mixed 50/50 with distilled water, do a search for toyota coolant and you can read about the advantages and what people have said about its use.

But you are hurting your engine by keeping the coolant in your engine that long.

·
Registered
306 Posts
if you do decide to switch, have your system completely flushed before putting in the long life. The coolants react when mixed and for a gel which=bad.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply! Would I have to completly flush the entire system before switching to Red coolant? Or can I just drain and refill?

Did our cars come from the factory with the red coolant or is this a new discovery? Thanks...

·
Super Moderator
10,577 Posts
if you check the fine print on the orange prestone stuff it says "For use in vehicles with aluminum radiators".

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Bill_Loeffler said:
Thanks for the reply! Would I have to completly flush the entire system before switching to Red coolant? Or can I just drain and refill?

Did our cars come from the factory with the red coolant or is this a new discovery? Thanks...
Bill,

Your Supra came with Toyota Red coolant in the system from the factory. It's really good stuff. That's what is in my car right now.

Stephen

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
how about adding a can of Prestone anti-rust after 12 months??
i found it effective, that is no rad or engine clog problems.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Bill_Loeffler said:

whenever you do a coolant change, you need to flush it, a drain and fill keeps a lot of crap still in the system....so flush it out completely and then refill with red stuff.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts