Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In general, how much does a starter for a 5mge cost?
How about an injector?

I'm looking at purchasing an '85 Celica-Supra, but it needs a starter and one new injector (it's running on 5 cylinders).

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
663 Posts
starter price

Well I could tell you at the dealership theyre around $140. And at Checker/Kragen stores the AUTOLITE brands were about $70 plus you get $20 for your core. Same place also has a BECK/ARNLEY brand for around $100 -20 for core. Not sure on injectors :?

·
Registered
520 Posts
yup

Orileys and all the other places are like 80 bucks with the core charge, and then u got like 20 bucks back on the core, I recently replaced my starter...last week actualy.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
injectors can probably be had from someone on this site.... hell, i might even have one kicking around, but itll be used.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dogstar, if it works, then its better than it not working... if you have one, what would you want for it, shipped to southeastern ohio?

·
Super Moderator
8,751 Posts
Usually the starter can be fixed with new contacts from Toyota. If you need a set of injectors I've got some if you want to buy them cheap.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well, how much would the contacts cost?
is there any way to check the contacts (jury-rig it to test)?

·
Registered
663 Posts
TSRM info

Im curious of the same :?: In the 84 TSRM its called a PERFORMANCE TEST OF STARTER. (caution: These tests must be performed w/in 3 to 5 seconds to avoid burning out the coil)

1.PERFORM PULL-IN TEST
A. Disconnect the field coil from terminal C.
B. Connect the battery to the magnetic switch as shown.
Check the SST plunger moves outward. If plunger does not move, replace the magnetic switch.

2.PERFORM HOLD-IN TEST>While connected as above w/plunger out, disconnect the negative lead from Terminal C. Check that the plunger remains out. If the plunger returns inward, replace the magnetic switch.

3.CHECK PLUNGER RETURN>Disconnect the negative lead from the switch body. Check that the pinion returns inward. If the plunger does not return, replace the magnetic switch.

4.PERFORMANCE NO-LOAD PERFORMANCE TEST
A. Connect the battery and ammeter to the starter as shown pg(ST-10)in TSRM.
B. Check the starter rotates smoothly and steadily w/the pinion moving out. Check the ammeter reads the specified current.
Specified Current: Less than 90 A at 11.5V

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
and how much would you be asking for just one single injector?
thanks, Danny, for the info.

·
Registered
209 Posts
1 injector for a 5M-GE cost about $130 from a toyota dealer as of last fall.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts