Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys im thinking about buying a 1983 celica/supra. It is a five speed, with a 190,000 miles, inline 6. The motor runs and purs great, never run in the winter, kept in a heated garage, and an old guy owns it so you know its never been beat :wink:. Its the origonal owner, has had no problems with the car. It has sticker, and will pass inspection. It needs a paint job, then will look mint. I was wondering if you could give me a price range on the car so that I don't pay to much for the car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ohh yea i forgot to add is this a mk2 or mk1? Please give me the years of both.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Its a Mk II. 82-86 are Mk II's. Mk I's are 79-81.

As for a price, it depends on how bad the body is. Is there any rust? Hows the interior? What kind of maintenance has it had?

Off the cuff, I would say between $1K and $2K, depnding on condition,, tho if its better than the miles indicate, the price could go up.

·
Founding Member
6,436 Posts
Its hard to judge without actually seeing it. There are regional differences, but here in Texas, if absolutely everything works, A/C, power accy's, everything, good tires, no rips or cracks in the interior, and the trim can all be reused after paint, I'd expect you're looking at anywhere from $1800 to $2400. Add $1500 - $2000 for a decent paint job and you're up to $3300 to $4400 and even at the top end, probably not a bad investment considering that if well maintained, the mechanical's got another 100K miles left easy. Inspect every nook and cranny for rust as it can be expensive to repair. Also, if its not been done already, the engine will definately need new valve stem seals at this age so if you don't do your own wrenching, get an estimate and figure that into the cost otherwise its $75 and a weekend labor. A/C leaks are common as these cars get older so if that doesn't work, figure a rebuilt compressor, some o-rings and recharge cost into the price. I'd bet he's already replaced the water pump and alternator somewhere in the mid 100s but if not, plan on those soon. Everything else mechanical on these cars seems to be rock solid well into 200K mile territory if not beat on. Good luck.

Phil D.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts