Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
car: 85 ptype 6mge-present
problem:
1.) gas gauge readings are inaccurate; while driving, it would drop and then climb back up, sometimes staying in an inaccurate level. When fully refuel tank, the gauge will give accurate reading-full-until I step on the gas and the car is moving. note: problem occured about 2 months ago, couldn't fix it, so I set my mileage clock whenever I fill up the tank(takes about 200 miles on full tank)
2.) Problem happend early this year too-Feb. Car never did this in previous 5mge. Went out with friends...came back to start supra, and idle dropped to 100-300 rpm. The car didn't die-good thing. Ever since then, the car idles rough in cold morning-Sacramento(200-300rpm). Until I drive supra and it warms up-15+minutes.
3.)Early this year, battery gauge falls to short-around 15volts. Used to be 17-18volts with/without lights on. Now, it falls short and drops to 12volts, with lights on, and dimming the lights. Gauge sits at 16-17 without lights on. New battery replaced last year.
note: I have two 10W3 JL subs(10inch), 300watt amp, and Pioner deck.

I read post about '83 gas gauge problem and considering advise. Any more advise is much appreciated.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hello,

About your first problem: It sounds like the fuel sending unit is faulty. I would just continue using your tripmeter instead of fixing it.

Problem 2: Not sure

For problem 3: As far as I'm concerned, the battery gauge should be reading about 14.4 V with the lights on. If it was 17 V before, then I think your alternator was over charging the battery. Get an alternator test.

Best of luck,

Hosam

·
Registered
102 Posts
1. rusty sending unit. There should be a little orange light that comes on, indicating empty. My gauge is the same as yours and I just wiat for the light - Ive driven 80k with that light on and not run out of gas, so it gives you plenty of time.

2.Thats a weird one. Maybe your cold-start injector isn't working? Bad fuel pump? I really don't know.

3. If your gauge was correct, 17-18 with lights on, the voltage regulator in your alternator was shot (should regulate to 14.4 all the time) This will kill both an alternator and a battery over time, so check them both.

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
Jay,

I maybe able to help you with problem 2. I don't know if the 6MGE has a cold start air valve but that could be your problem. When i got my MA61 the 5ME couldn't idle properly when it was cold outside, after replacing the valve the car is able to idle properly and automatically increase the RPM instead of trying to do it manual.

Cheers.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Problem #2

Check your igniter. I had a simular problem, it was a pain to find the cause. I traced it to a misfire when cold. It was hard to trouble shoot because the once the car warmed up for the day, the problem would disappear, untill the car was cold. Normally had to wait over night before the problem would show up. So I used an old electronics trick and cooled down the igniter with an ice pack. As soon as the igniter cooled, but problem showed up. I let the igniter warm up and the problem would go away again. So I replaced the igniter with a used one. Well the problem is not as severe as it was it only takes like a minute to warm the engine up to get rid of the problem. But it is still there. I'm looking for a new igniter, not sure how successful I will be.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts