Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can not get the lower timing cover off because i cant get the crank shaft pully off the bolt is it a normal thread or reverse thread i have tried both ways with air and a breaker bar with 3 people

·
Super Moderator
8,818 Posts
Normal right hand thread. Use a cheater bar or bump the starter to loosen it up

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Is the engine still in the car, or out of the car?

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Get a breaker bar with a impact 19mm socket. Put socket side on the pulley bolt, handle end under the car on the pass side and tap the starter on with the key (make sure to unplug the wire from the dizzy cap to the coil, or just pull the "EFI" fuse in the engine bay fuse block). It will loosen the bolt right up, many of us on here have done it and it has not failed yet.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Get a breaker bar with a impact 19mm socket. Put socket side on the pulley bolt, handle end under the car on the pass side and tap the starter on with the key (make sure to unplug the wire from the dizzy cap to the coil, or just pull the "EFI" fuse in the engine bay fuse block). It will loosen the bolt right up, many of us on here have done it and it has not failed yet.
exactly, that's what i do. works every time.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Passenger side??? Drivers side seems correct to me.

Passenger side = body damage. Drivers side on the concrete. Bolt will come out.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Passenger side??? Drivers side seems correct to me.

Passenger side = body damage. Drivers side on the concrete. Bolt will come out.
I just get it resting up against the frame rail, never had a problem.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,681 Posts
If you have to remove the pulley when the engine is already out of the car, one of these works great to keep your crank from turning as you're jumping up and down on the breaker bar with all your buddies.
This one is a bit pricey but it's been used by a forum member Yotaholic, on 5m, 7m and works like a champ.
DaveA found my favorite tool for the job - grunt wrench.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
If you put it on the ground and its not quite long enough, there is risk it can lift the car enough to travel to the frame and hit it at speed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.