Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I really did it this time! I just ported and rebuilt my head and rebuilt the top end. Got it all back together and took it out for a spin. Ran Great! Got home and had oil in the valley. I didn't realize (at the time) that the cam tower gasket were different for intake and exhaust side cam towers. Tore it all down, swapped the gaskets, put it all back together and now I am running rough at idle, I suspect that I skipped a tooth on the timing belt. I noticed that I have a lot of slack in between the intake cam gear and the oil pump gear is this normal? Could my tensioner be bad? I played around with the distributor and it runs best at full advance on one tooth and full retard on another. I think I should start from scratch with lining up the cams and crank.

Heres what I think I should do, any input would be great. Start at TDC and make sure that i line up with the zero on the timing cover with the notch in the crank pulley. Then line up both cam gears with match marks on middle match pin (they were both on the middle match pin when I removed them). Then replace distributor to point to number one. Is this right? Thanks for any comments.

Jason B (why didn't I just put the gaskets in right the first time!)

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Yup, thats right. The trick to the timing belt tension is to set up your cams w/ TDC and put the belt on. Then turn the crank clockwise a little to tighten up the belt on the right side. Then tighten up your idler pulley. This will make the belt tension just right. Reindex TDC and make sure everything is lined up.

Christian

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got it! That did the trick, now everything is lined up and she is running better than ever with the fresh top end. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
put the belt on the crank and oil pump then put the lower cover and harmonic balancer back on. Then i align that to 0 on the cover, put the pass cam to the timing mark and the drivers cam a little to ur right then i put the belt on everything but the pass cam. at that time i turn the drivers cam to the timing mark to tighten the tension between that part of the belt and the oil pump, then i tighten the tensioner spin it twice to make sure the timing is correct, then i reset the timing on the distributor and then go from there... hope that helps, but your right on!!!!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a similar situation. I just put in all new seals/gaskets on the engine and am having a timing issue. I did what the book said to do for the cams: line up the guide holes (i think that's what it called them, I had to look down my oil cap and remove the passenger side valve cover) on the cams with the hole in the cam tower. then put my cam gears on and put the pin in the "best" hole. I can put the crank at 0 and the cam marks match with the marks on the metal timing cover. I line up the marks on the distributor and slide it in. Car will only start with distributor turned full counter clockwise, will not rev at all. I have tried offsetting the distributor a tooth and two teeth in each direction. My guess is that I am inadvertently twisting the distributor as i'm putting it back in...

Another issue is coolant leaking definitely form the drivers side and possibly from the passengers side, looks like it's coming from the head area, but could be that metal tube that runs around the engine...any ideas on that?

Car is an 85, 5spd, no mods at all...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts