Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
Crossmember done and trans is fully mounted up! I measured the length that I need to get my 3” aluminum driveshaft shortened to: 42-7/8” (down from 51”) so this tells you how much longer the tail of the Magnum is. Here are some pics of the crossmember finished:

Also, I shared these pics with Joel Grannas and he asked if I would send him my crossmember so he could make a jig out of it. It sounds like he’s going to officially add a MK2 kit to his supported T56 Magnum swap lineup. Definitely will help those interested who don’t have ability or supplies to weld up their own crossmember.

I decided to pickup a bent shifter handle instead of using the straight one supplied with Grannas’ kit. In 1st, 3rd, 5th and reverse, definitely more forward than my original setup and too far for a comfortable reach. Here’s a pic in first gear. Not quite hitting my knuckles on the radio, lol. I ordered a bent Hurst handle that gives 3” relocation.

Picked up this 10x1.0mm inverted flare to -3AN male adapter so hooking up the new hydraulic clutch line is plug’n play with the OEM hardline:

All that’s left is to get the driveshaft shortened/installed, wire up the reverse light switch, reverse lockout sensor and speedo sensor (once I decide on which speedo route I’m going). Once the new shift handle arrives, I can put the console back together.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Very very cool to see the t56 works! Please keep us updated on how you like it. I'm curious to see what kind of rpm you will be at with the 3.73 as thats what I am running as well. Did you mention if you went with the short or tall gearing version?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Damn! I was so deep into reading this thread. I didn't realize I was at the last reply:sadbanana: more please! Great work!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
So I got the new curved shifter handle...it’s a Hurst handle, which all have the correct bolt pattern to mount to any any Tremec transmission. I had to get a thread conversion nut for it too so I could use the MKIV replica shift knob. Good news it puts the shift knob in the perfect driving position. Bad news, believe it or not, the trans is about 1/2” too far forward! The ashtray lid interferes with 1st/3rd/5th/Reverse. I have a few ideas of some parts I can create with my 3D printer but the ashtray will have to go.

The following 3 consecutive pictures are in 1st/neutral/2nd gear, respectively. Notice is first gear, there’s only about 1/4” gap between the shift lever and console. With the ashtray in place, you can’t engage the upper gears.

Here you can see the interference with the ashtray. The trans is in gear in this pic but this will not fly:

Also notice how much room is now behind the shifter where normally the boot covers the opening. I have an idea to install a cup holder in that spot and come up a smaller shift boot setup.

So I’ve got some custom fab work ahead of me...more to come!

·
Super Moderator
8,136 Posts
It seems like all you need is a square steel plate with 4 holes in it so that it moves the shifter arm back an inch or so.

edit:

Expensive solution, but this shifter the black part looks like the perfect fit;

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bmm-45043

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Great idea! Don’t know how I overlooked this idea; great example of how looking at a problem for so long you miss the simplest solution. I will fab up a simple plate with 4 holes as you suggest—cheap, easy, effective and nobody will see it.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #48 (Edited)
Time for another update. I decided to upgrade to a Bowler Performance short shifter w/adapter to relocate the shift handle rearward by 2”. I had to remove the trans *again* (which is so much easier since you can detach it from the bell housing) to install the new shift. Here’s a few pics:

The Bowler unit is definitely lower profile at the pivot point. Provides a little more clearance to the tunnel opening:

I 3D printed a shift boot support bushing and tested the fitment with the boot:

But once in the car, the boot is too short by about two inches. I could use the straight Sikky handle that came with the trans but I love the shift handle location with the bent hurst shifter: I’m going to 3D print a boot support bushing that’s longer to make it work...

More updates coming soon...

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
So I decided to forego the Hurst curved shifter and went back to the Sikky straight handle shifter. It's about 2 inches shorter and allowed the boot to fit great...I got the interior back together.

Next up, finish up all the wiring for reverse lockout switch/reverse sensor/speed sensor and get a new aluminum driveshaft made/installed so I can button up this project!

Oh and here's a short vid I made of my progress:

·
Super Moderator
10,292 Posts
Pretty cool!

I'd probably prefer the curved shifter myself, but I may be a little shorter then you. I like to be able to keep the shifter centered in the ball of my hand when I push it forward without having to lean at all.

Please post the total cost when you're done too!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
My new drive shaft arrives next week so I hope to button up the project next weekend. In the meantime, I sent Joel Grannas the crossmember I welded up using his universal kit; he used it to build a jig so he can easily reproduce a 2JZ fitted MK2 trans crossmember for the T56 Magnum. Nice work of art! (It makes me want to own a mandrel tubing bender.). I will be sending him a list, including detailed pictures of the minor massaging to get this trans to fit so he can add the MK2 to his supported T56 Magnum kit offering. Will be a nice one-stop-shop option for anyone who wants as close to plug and play as you can get for a 2JZ MK2.

Joel’s reproduction crossmember is pictured at the top:

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Got the trans all buttoned up with my new Grannas crossmember. If anyone is interested, I’m happy to donate my original mocked up crossmember; it’s totally fine just not as pretty.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #59 (Edited)
It's time for a major update to this thread...Rain in New England on Friday washed the salt off the roads so I took the MK2 out of hibernation! Stretched her legs a bit and SUPER happy with the T56 Magnum. Shifts are short, crisp and precise. I put a quick video together:
Enjoy!!

With my 3.73 TruTrac rear end, first gear is noticeably longer so it takes a bit more clutch modulation from a standing start. Plus my new ClutchMasters twin plate clutch is very grabby to boot...Will take some getting used to from a standing start but I LOVE IT. Highway cruising is so much better... 80 MPH at 2700 RPM in 6th. If I were in the market for a new or rebuilt Diff, I'd swap in 4.11 gears and this trans would mimic OEM gear lengths...But my fully built 3.73 diff is fine and not worth changing out to 4.11. Trans is super quiet; clutch is a slightly audible when pedal depressed...very pleased with the setup so far. I'll put together a detailed list of everything I did, including final cost. Stay tuned for that.

On a different topic, I've got to diagnose an engine miss I started noticing last fall...At higher RPM under heavy throttle, the engine is stuttering/missing. Almost feels like a slipping clutch or like it's choking out of fuel... Then today, I noticed it's missing now at idle; exhaust note has a sort of random popping sound when it misses. One other clue, once the engine is up to operating temp, I noticed today it didn't idle down to ~650 like it's supposed to. After a 30 minute drive, idle remained at ~1000 RPM... Either coil packs or injectors are the first things I'm thinking to check. The coil packs are the original JDM packs that came with the motor and the 550cc injectors I bought used when doing the swap in 2011; who knows how old they are. What do you guys think: am I on the right path? Any other tips for me to check? No check engine light but I haven't checked for any OBDII codes yet.

Anyway, I'll update this thread with all parts and costs for the Magnum swap...WARNING: it's not for the faint of heart. :)

-Dan

·
Whistles
1,047 Posts
Feel good!

My ClutchMasters took a bit to get used to, but with some squealing. I'm on a street/race disc setup and don't recall which discs you are using.

JZ coils do tend to crack when they age. Injectors usually don't really go bad, but they can get dirty.

I would inspect/replace the coil packs first.

41 - 60 of 74 Posts