Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A little Supra history...

This Supra is a treasure chest of memories from days gone by. My sister and brother-in-law purchased it new back in '83 and it was one bad ride. Not to give any secrets away but my friends and I would borrow it ever chance we could and cruise all weekend. We'd stuff as many friends as possible in it as long as there was room for beer (well...it was the 80's, gotta have priorities, ya know). We had some great times but things change and not always for the better.

A few years back my brother-in-law, Donnie, was suddenly and tragically taken from us in a work related accident. In his wake, he left behind two beautiful, but heartbroken, daughters and MANY grief stricken family members and friends...and this old car.

Since then this old Supra has had a rough life and has spent many years under the pines, where many (mainly my neighbors) say I should have left it. His daughter, who then owned the car, gave me an opportunity to haul it back it to the East Coast in Christmas of '02 with the promise that I'd fix it up and return it to the glory days. I'm not sure if I did it for her or myself...or for Donnie's memory...maybe a little of all three.

Anyway, the project took 7 years to complete but perseverance and patience finally paid off. There are flaws so please don't pick it apart. I'm not ready for that.

I really hope you guys like it; besides this forum is the only way I could have ever completed it. So I say THANKS to all of you who provided parts, technical advice, support, and words of encouragement along the way.

---------------------------

Pics of the car on the day I brought it home for the first time. It was literally a rust bucket that probably should have been dismissed as unsalvageable...

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

A few pics during the restore. A lot of rust removal and all was brought back down to metal. Everything was either replaced or repaired in some way. It was never meant to be that way but one thing led to another and here we are today.

Rear Hatch area was completely replaced...
[/IMG]

My friend Peter and I putting on the first coat of primer...
[/IMG]

After the initial 'Trim-Out'...
[/IMG]

Final Paint...
[/IMG]

Random assembly pic...
[/IMG]

This is John, the Paint Master. He was my advisor throughout the project and taught me more about body work than I ever wanted to know. He also pressed me to ensure the final product was something to be proud of. He completed the finish body work and Painted the car. An amazing talent.
[/IMG]

-----------------------------------------------

Any finally, the end product...

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

A tribute to Donnie etched in the Quarter Glass...
[/IMG]

THE END!

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Amazing! You did a fantastic job. Absolutely love the color you chose. Car is beautiful and will be a show winner!

·
Boost-a-holic
2,560 Posts
Wow!! Nice save!! Beautiful job.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Same shoes in both pics????

Turned out beautiful for sure. Very nice job, lot of love there. Looks like you put in a lot of work. That is a good looking car. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Very nice work. I'm also really digging the color. I'm sure your brother in law would be proud of the work done and for you doing it.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Just about perfect! I love the interior materials/colors you chose for the seats and side panels. You can post more pics of this car anytime you want! This is calendar car material right here! Be proud; you've done well!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Specs

Thank you for the positive responses.

A few specifics:
Body:
Color: Sondorat Red from a 2008/9 BMW (Standox)
Black is a special blend from John, the Paint Master
3 coats of Standox Premium Clear
Trim: All new, where possible. All other rebuilt and refinished
Shaved Headlight washer, Antenna, and Rear Wiper

Engine:
Rebuilt, all stock except...
Rabid Chimp Cold Air Intake
Locally powder coated Valve covers

Interior:
All stock but completely refurbished.
The seats are leather with a suede inset. All I know is that it was a Mercedes color.
The panels are vinyl with suede. The vinyl matches the seats though.
Headliner: Reupholstered
Sunvisors: Could not find decent ones so built new from scratch
Radio: Clarion w/Bluetooth (gotta have that)
Carpet and Supra Mats: All new from Roadworks.com

Wheels:
Cleaned and Polished by me (what a frickin pain; never again)
Painted by John, the Paint Master

Undercar:
Cleaned and scraped all underbody
Chassis: All stock, just rebuilt or replaced everything
New Gas Tank
New Brake and Fuel Lines (another pain)

Glass:
New Windshield (actually 2, I broke one)
Etched by "Etching in Glass", Gibsonia, PA from a photo.
Tinted by a local Tint Shop

Every nut and bolt polished or painted. Apparently I have issues :)

The good photos are by "Rick Young Photograhy", Raleigh, NC. An old friend who specializes in Racing and Auto photography but does a little of everything.
http://rickyoungphoto.com

or

http://rickyoungphotography.com

·
Registered
727 Posts
What an uplifting story! Donnie must have been a great guy!

Congrats on a job well done!

1 - 20 of 65 Posts