Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I just got back from the Toyota Nationals, an annual event held in Dubbo, Australia. One of the events was the 1/8 mile drags, and of course I had to enter my Supra to see what it can do! Unfortunately I had a slipping clutch and the LSD is a bit worn out so it didn't perform as well as it could have, but I was still pretty happy with my best time of 8.72. The timing equipment there was pretty basic so I don't have a 60ft time or a terminal speed, just the ET. FWIW this was the 3rd fastest time of the day; I was beaten by an RA23 Celica with a modified 1G-GTE (8.66) and a KE20 Corolla with a worked 3T-GTE and slicks which was doing mid-7's.

Here's a pic of the Supra in action:

More pics here:

http://www.luc1d.net/other/toy_nationals/drags/

Once I get my clutch issue sorted out (probably a 4-puck ceramic drive plate) I plan to run again at a proper 1/4 mile strip. I'm hoping to creep into the 12's, but it remains to be seen! :)

·
Registered
360 Posts
Woohoo! :D

Its good to se project 2jz in action! And it sounds like she's doing pretty ok. I cant wait to see how she performs when your clutch and lsd problems are addressed.

Best of luck acheving 12's norbie!

·
Registered
351 Posts
damn! Those RA23's are sweet, I love those cars. I would like to own one with a 1G-GTE or some such in it. Great work on the car too, Norbie! More pics when you get it all tidied up!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Good to hear you are making progress Norbie! Definitely keep us posted on your times and tunings! You know I expect a ride in that thing when I return, don't you! :) :wink:

·
Super Moderator
10,546 Posts
Nice, you finish all the wiring and get your dash back in then? Everything done under the hood?

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The wiring is nearly done, but I still need to tidy up a few things in the dash and figure out a way to make the speedo work. The only thing left to do in the engine bay is install some better fans and maybe some heat shielding around the turbos.

Next major project is brakes then suspension... sounds expensive but it needs to be done!

·
Super Moderator
10,546 Posts
yeah I can see the speedo being a problem seeing as how the 2jz ecus use a digital one. Aftermarket tach would be the easy way out, maybe you can fit one into the stock guage cluster somewhat gracefull?

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The plan for now is to remove the electronic speed sensor from the gearbox and replace it with a mechanical speedo cable (they're interchangeable), then I'll get an electronic signal out of the speedo itself and use that as a speed input for the ECU. That way the odometer will work (it's mechanical) and the factory cruise should work as well.

The only thing I'm not sure about is whether the signal from the speedo is the same as the signal from the speed sensor, but I'm going to give it a try anyway. The engine runs fine without a speed input but for some reason it won't idle when cold, so it would be nice to make it work!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts